UNF removes Papa John’s from campus

Hannah Lee, Editor-in-Chief

UNF President David Szymanski sent out an email today, Aug. 1, announcing that UNF will remove the Papa John’s restaurant from the John A. Delaney Student Union. The decision comes after the founder of Papa John’s made offensive remarks in a conference call earlier in July.

“UNF is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community,” the email stated. “We’re committed to creating a culture of respect and to providing a path for people from diverse backgrounds to succeed.”

A new in-house pizza outlet will be replacing the venue in the Student Union.

UNF Spinnaker will continue to update this story and more information becomes available.

15 Comments

15 Responses to “UNF removes Papa John’s from campus”

1. Monique Heggs on August 1st, 2018 3:03 pm

Can the students vote on what pizza spot or other restaurant we want to see replace Papa John’s? I’d rather see a Pizza Hut with longer hours than 5:30pm or whatever time Papa John’s use to close. Personally, I think we should add a Wendy’s on campus…

[Reply]

Mitchell Mathews Reply:

I agree either Pizza Hut or Wendy’s

[Reply]

Monahan Reply:

The students don’t need ANOTHER fast food junk food joint. Have you seen how many UNF students lately that are obese? Try a healthier enterprise to replace Papa Johns.

[Reply]

2. steve on August 1st, 2018 5:44 pm

Oh great. One of the first official acts of the new President is the PC garbage routine of removing Paps Johns from campus because the founder, who has since resigned, made an offensive remark. Buckle up UNF looks like we hired a left wing PC loving President whose easily distracted from his primary duties. oy vey!

[Reply]

Justin Ostrowsky Reply:

Couldn’t agree more. They should have taken some sort of survey because I highly doubt anyone cares. So much other stuff this guy could be focusing on. This comes after the university spent over $200,000 to get papa johns in the first place!

[Reply]

Barry (Trent) Miller Reply:

I think you have hit the nail on the hand! This is a useless act.

[Reply]

Monahan Reply:

Yep you have that right! Be sure and add the expense to the tuition for next year for removing Papa J’s. How noble.

[Reply]

3. Hector Gomez on August 2nd, 2018 1:44 am

Are they going to add a “Papa John’s Removal Fee” to the tuition bill this semester?

[Reply]

4. Stephanie Smith on August 2nd, 2018 7:43 am

Meanwhile chicfila has been supporting anti-lgbt movements for years and funding ‘pray the gay away’ camps… But that sort of active intolerance is not an issue to the board???
    Perhaps this was chosen as a token gesture because the papa johns was never that busy and they knew many students wouldn’t notice or care.
    I would like to think that they mean what they say about inclusivity and tolerance but the continued presence of an openly anti-gay corporation suggests otherwise.

[Reply]

Kara Reply:

More like pizza is seasy to mKd and they want to keep the profit for themselves.

[Reply]

5. steve on August 2nd, 2018 11:21 am

C’mon Spinnaker, do your job! You are the voice of the UNF students and staff. This isn’t about Papa John’s. This is about a new President that has just set a precedent of making unilateral decisions on your behalf. Are you going to sit back over the coming years and simply report on his unilateral proclamations that affect all of all of us. Maybe next time he decides to remove a fraternity or club team from campus because some knucklehead made an off color remark at a meeting or practice. He works for us not the other way around. I find his comment about “inclusion” ironic when he makes an “announcement” like this during the summer months. What is the literal cost of this decision and will it affect students, how was this decision made? who was consulted? Will he be disclosing any future legal action this Papa John’s franchisee levies on UNF? How will the next tenant be decided? By him? You better “train” this President now or live with the consequences.

[Reply]

6. giantrat on August 2nd, 2018 4:06 pm

I see the comment section is especially bad today. The writings were on the wall back in *May*, they already planned to end the contract. All the school president did was announce what Chartwells is replacing it with, which is their own pizza joint.

[Reply]

steve Reply:

Can’t be. Papa John’s nasty comments were only made public in July by Forbes. So if the *May* writing is on the wall decision was made in May to replace Papa Johns the reasoning given by the President of UNF that it was because of the comments reported in July doesn’t wash. I know the President wouldn’t use the excuse of the comments as a convenient reason to kick them off campus. Me thinks this paper needs to question the President further. Something is fishy. If nothing else we should have full disclosure from our own administration on decisions affecting our campus.

[Reply]

7. J. on August 3rd, 2018 4:45 pm

Agree. There are a host of other healthier pizza joints like MOD Pizza, Pieology and Pizza Fusion. Maybe workout a contract with a Jacksonville based veggie or organic pizza company?

[Reply]

8. Stewart on August 13th, 2018 5:13 pm

I ate there a few times and couldn’t even get the employees to cook the pizza completely…..most of them had a bad work ethic and bad attitude. I couldn’t see why anyone would miss undercooked bad pizza anyway…. Let’s look at food quality and overall accountability of the company and ALL its employees to replace them.

[Reply]

• UNF removes Papa John’s from campus

Candidate Coverage

A look at the Republican primary ballot

• UNF removes Papa John’s from campus

Candidate Coverage

Ballot choices for nonpartisan voters

• UNF removes Papa John’s from campus

Candidate Coverage

A breakdown of the Democratic primary ballot

• UNF removes Papa John’s from campus

Martinez pleads not guilty

• UNF removes Papa John’s from campus

Election Guides

Early voting for the primary election

• UNF removes Papa John’s from campus

UNF Vice President and Chief of Staff retires after almost four decades of service

• UNF removes Papa John’s from campus

Board of Trustees meet to discuss a self-evaluation process

• UNF removes Papa John’s from campus

UNF’s Confucius Institute closing by February 2019

• UNF removes Papa John’s from campus

UNF Navigators honors Greg Yutuc through a Celebration of Life vigil

• UNF removes Papa John’s from campus

Police Beat: Stolen watch and cell phone

UNF removes Papa John’s from campus