Freshmen goals power Ospreys to 3-0 victory

Photo by Lili Weinstein.

On the night of Friday, Aug. 31, the UNF Women’s Soccer team dominated throughout their match against Winthrop with key goals from Freshmen Kendra Hoffman, Julia Martin and J.J. Bryant.

The first goal occurred in the twelfth minute as Sophomore Midfielder Thais Reiss placed a pass perfectly to Freshman Midfielder Kendra Hoffman for a goal in the right side of the net.

“Coming into the game, we had to make sure to take advantage of every opportunity we get,” Hoffman said.

In the twenty-ninth minute, Freshman Forward Julia Martin fired a shot over the diving goalkeeper and into the net with the assist of Junior Midfielder Brandi Walker.

“I mainly wanted to get on the counter-attack. That’s what we did, and I just kept running for it,” Martin explained.

At the end of the first half, the Ospreys carried a 2-0 lead and the defense only allowed four shots by Winthrop. In the first half, Redshirt-Freshman Defender Hollyn Knight knocked a key shot with an empty net out of the box which was pivotal to the momentum of the game.

The final goal of the night was scored in the fifty-second minute with a header by Freshman Defender J.J. Bryant on a corner kick by Hoffman, extending the lead to 3-0.

“With every shot that we have, we need to have our body or head on it. We believe that it doesn’t matter what position, we’re all capable of scoring,” Bryant said.

Redshirt-Sophomore Goalkeeper Rhiannon Conelley recorded her second shutout this season against Winthrop.

The UNF Women’s Soccer team’s next match is on Sunday, Sept. 2 at 1 p.m. at Hodges Stadium against Manhattan.