Department of Diversity Initiatives hosts opportunity to discuss immigration

Joseph Girouard

Immigration is always a hot topic, not only in America but all over the world. But for all the talk about immigration, not a lot of people know many facts about the subject. The Department of Diversity Initiatives wanted to help educate anyone who was interested in changing that.

Courtesy of UNF Department of Diversity Initiatives.

On Tuesday, Sept. 25, the Department of Diversity Initiatives held an open dialogue that was part of a series of events called “Let’s Talk About It.” In these events, the coordinators try to make it a “safe place” for those who want to be able to talk about a subject without fear of backlash. This specific event was to help provide information about immigration, such as how 13 percent of Americans are foreign-born, and most illegal immigrants cross the border via plane rather than by land or sea.

Luke Cornelius, an attorney and associate professor of leadership and school counseling, works with immigrants and presented most of the facts from the dialogue. He says he wanted the takeaway to be “an appreciation for how complicated [immigration] is. Most people have really black and white views on the issue. If it were that easy, we wouldn’t have to debate the policy.”

There will be another “Let’s Talk About It” on Oct. 9. The topic will be “Being Black, Brown and LGBTQ” and will be located in Founders Hall, Rm 2001 at 3 p.m.