Celebrating Holi on Campus

Aleema Jack

[embedyt] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRQDyOHq-sU[/embedyt]

Vibrant colors and the sound of laughter filled the air as UNF students came out in numbers Friday morning to celebrate the yearly Hindu festival of color and the spring. The festivities began with a taste of Indian food followed by a presentation on the culture and its origination. According to Matt Hartley, Associate Director of the Interfaith Center, the event is one of their signature events in the spring, and this year the center is partnering with Asian Students In Alliance.

According to Hartley, the Interfaith Center is not only about sharing content for students but they are working together with students to create a campus life that celebrates diverse cultures.

Amongst the fun and the spring colors, students had many positive and exciting experiences to talk about as they learnt more about other cultures in the midst of the fun. Garrett Covalvo, a freshman business student said,”The food was great and the festival was a lot of fun. I’m looking forward to throwing more powder at my friends.”

Even those that were introduced to the culture for the first time had a ball. Crystal Christopher, a senior journalism student said, “I didn’t know the festival was a thing until a friend of mine told me to come to this and I actually learned a lot about the cultural significance and the colors. I really just enjoyed being here.”

Matt Hartley was content with the success of the event. “This is an opportunity for South Asian students especially to share something from their culture.”

“There is something exhilarating about being able to celebrate your own culture but also celebrate the cultures of your friends. There is a sense of the world getting bigger” said Hartley.