UNF amenities incoming freshman should know about

Emma Sheridan and Grace Stoler

Ogier garden

The Ogier Garden is tucked away far beyond where many students will venture. It has hammocks, a beautiful view of a large lake and many vegetables ripe for plucking. Students are able to “adopt” a plot of land for free that they can then use to garden on.

Not only that, the Ogier Gardens will help students learn how they should be gardening and how to utilize their crop of land to the fullest. They also teach courses on sustainability, bugs and composting.

There is a plethora of fruit and vegetables growing there, from grapes to hot peppers, the Ogier Garden is a ripe amenity all students should check out their freshman year. Pictured below are the garden’s hammocks and a plot of land open to being “adopted”.

Picnic tables at the Ogier Gardens
Emma Sheridan

Lend-a-Wing

The Lend-a-Wing pantry strives to bring meals to struggling students. “Everyone is welcome,” said the Director of Lend-a-Wing,Veronica Train . She also mentioned that they are always trying to connect with more students. 

Lend-a-Wing receives plenty of fresh, pesticide-free produce from the Ogier Gardens and plenty of snacks from Publix too. From pop-tarts, to fresh tomatoes, Lend-a-Wing is stocked up and ready to serve their community. 

Freshmen should check out Lend-a-Wing anytime they’re Osprey stomachs are grumbling and funds are low.

Counseling Center

If there’s one amenity students should utilize, it’s the Counseling Center. Whether you need help managing stress and anxiety, or need a break from reality, the UNF Counseling Center is there to help. Offering a single person relaxation room in the back, students can pop in between classes to meditate or to have a quiet moment to themselves. 

If you’re more of a group oriented person, the Counseling Center also offers group classes. From groups which meet to discuss addiction and body dysmorphia, there are many helpful options. 

Writing Center

When it comes to grammatical and writing help, you can visit the UNF Writing Center where you can accept a helping wing from a fellow student. There are many students at the Writing Center who are geared towards helping their peers grow as writers and to succeed in their classes. The Writing Center allows for appointments to be made or for students to walk in last minute. If you do walk in, just be prepared that you may have to wait a short while. Don’t be discouraged though, the Writing Center is worth the wait.

__

• (Priscilla Du Preez/Unsplash)

Thanksgiving: The importance of gratitude

• Entrance to Neckles’ Bless This House gallery at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Jacksonville.

MOCA artist Shervone Neckles shares the creative process behind her thought-provoking artwork

• Photo courtesy of Osprey Robotics

Club Spotlight: Osprey Robotics

• A rainbow flag waves at the starting line of a Pride Observance Month 5K run at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia, June 21, 2019. The rainbow flag is displayed at lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer or questioning events worldwide as a symbol for diversity in the LGBTQ community. (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Monica Roybal)

‘Perseverance and solidarity’: UNF Pride Club members discuss the history of Pride

• Oktoberfest information

Ozzie Oktoberfest: The 5 W’s to know

• The video game posters, featuring posters for Nintendo’s Metroid Dread and The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild, the former of which is one of “100’s” of new additions to their inventory, according to the sale

UNF poster sale this week

• A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

• Interior of the Ogier Garden’s greenhouse.

Nothing beets the Ogier Garden’s hidden gems

• Lynne Arriale leaning over a table with her arms crossed

UNF music professor on the “language of jazz”

• Photo Courtesy of Amelia Simmons

Best part-time jobs for freshman at UNF