Police Beat Hall of Fame

Every week, the Spinnaker compiles the most recent arrests, investigation updates and often humorous findings from UPD police reports.

Here’s a look back at some of the most outrageous police beat moments of the Fall 2008 semester: Incidents of burned chicken nuggets, crashed golf carts and strangers terrorizing campus are all
included.

GOLF CART ANTICS
July 31 – Destroyed vehicle (Building 5) – A Physical Facilities employee lost control of his utility cart and drove it right into Building 5.
No one was injured.

Aug. 24 – Damaged property (Building 5) – The windshield fell out of a UNF golf cart after an employee parked it on campus.

Aug. 28 – Theft (Building 875)
– A golf cart was stolen from housing maintenance while an employee was fixing a toilet at the Cove.

The employee told police he left the keys in the cart, and it was standard practice.

The cart was later found in the pond near the north end of Lot 12.

LITTERING AND SMOKING THE REEFER
Sept. 18 – Marijuana (Unknown location) – A student complained continuously about her  roommate smoking marijuana in their dorm room.

She finally contacted UPD when she thought she had proof after finding paraphernalia, but when UPD searched the room, it did not find sufficient proof.

Oct. 17 – Possession of drugs (Lot 11)
– When an officer opened the door to his patrol car, he noticed a strong odor of burning marijuana.

He noticed two white males about 20 feet away.  He stopped them and patted both of them down.

A clear plastic bag of marijuana was found in the pocket of one of the suspects. Both students were referred to Student Conduct.

Nov. 1 – Drug paraphernalia (Building Q) – UPD was dispatched to Osprey Crossings in reference to a fire alarm.

The resident claimed that they burned chips in the microwave.

The police officer noticed a strong odor of air freshener used to cover up the smoke.

A glass pipe along with marijuana residue was found in a cabinet under the sink. The student was issued a notice to appear and referred to Student Conduct.

WE’RE NOT DRUNKS, WE’RE JUST IN COLLEGE
Sept. 18 – Alcohol (Building E) – A student in the Village was referred to Student Conduct after opening his room door to an RA with a beer in his hand. When UPD arrived, beer was also found in the refrigerator.

Oct. 5 – Alcohol (Building U) – A former UNF student was found with four containers of alcohol near Osprey Cove.

He was issued a notice of trespass, after already being issued a loitering citation.

Oct. 17 – Damaged property (Building Q) – A fire alarm was activated in one of the rooms due to smoke from burning food in the oven.

The resident was cooking chicken nuggets in the oven at approximately 1:30 a.m. She then fell asleep and woke up when the alarm sounded at 6 a.m.

She tried to awaken her roommate, but was not successful due to her roomate’s intoxicated state.

AS YOUR ATTORNEY, I ADVISE YOU GROW UP
Sep. 23 – Damaged property (Lot 15)
– A possible suspect dented a UPD patrol car with his skateboard. There is no proof of the act, and the person in question continues to deny it as the investigation continues.

Sep. 27 – Petty theft (Building 48) – UPD is still working a case in which a student stole a bucket of golf balls from the Golf Learning Center.

Oct. 11 – Suspicious activity – (Lot 15)
– Several witness accounts reported a subject wearing a white mask scaring residents in Osprey Crossings.

One witness observed the subject walk up to the vehicle he was in, turn his head to the side and continue staring. After driving off, the suspect followed behind on foot.

The suspect terrorized another witness as he or she was exiting an elevator. The suspect was later identified as a resident who advised he would not involve himself in that type of behavior again.

Nov. 13 – Petty theft (Building 38) – UPD was dispatched in reference to an altered UNF parking decal. The student using the decal admitted to printing a copy on his printer at home. He was using the fake decal so he wouldn’t have to pay a parking fee. The student said he did not remember who gave him the original decal, and he did not share it with anybody else. He was issued a notice to appear.

Compiled by Jonathan Morales.