UNF releases draft plan to bring students back to campus for Fall semester

Courtney Green, Managing Editor

UNF presented its draft Blueprint for Return to Campus in Fall 2020 on June 8. The Blueprint was approved by the UNF Board of Trustees, according to a UNF Marketing email.

Below are highlights of the 23 page Blueprint.

Classes

A recommendation for a mix of remote and in-person classes, with some hybrid classes and “experiential courses” (hands-on, laboratory classes) prioritized for face-to-face instruction.

Students, faculty, and staff will be expected to wear masks and practice social distancing. Efforts will be made to supply masks to those who cannot procure their own.

Campus life

Housing occupancy will be reduced by 7% to assist with social distancing. There will be no more than two students to a room. Plexi-glass barriers will be added to public facing offices and retail spaces.

Cleaning

The use of hand-sanitizer will be emphasized throughout campus. Nightly cleanings of classrooms, using electrostatic sprayers and CDC approved chemicals.

High Risk Individuals

The University will work with Higher Risk Individuals by minimizing their presence on campus and allowing them to work/learn remotely.

The University is developing an app that can help individuals determine if they are cleared to come to campus or should stay home/seek medical advice.

Mandatory training for students, faculty, and staff on new health and and safety procedures.

Athletics

Athletics will go on, though with occupancy restrictions. Athletes will undergo testing and will spend a limited time traveling by air. Training rooms will be kept at a minimum occupancy, as will games.

Testing

Student Health Services will provide free flu shots. The University will provide testing for COVID-19 for those who self-report COVID-19 symptoms. Contact tracing and identification of students arriving from “hot spots” where there are a large number of COVID-19 cases.

“This draft blueprint represents the combined efforts of the COVID-19 Task Force, four distinct working groups, and continued input from across the Osprey community to ensure a thoughtful and responsible return to campus this fall,” said UNF President David Szymanski. “The blueprint prioritizes the health and wellness of our students, faculty, and staff as we continue to deliver the enriching experience students have come to expect from UNF.”

Though the draft Blueprint does not include UNF’s plans should a second-wave of COVID-19 occur, the draft promises that UNF will have one in place. Human Resources and the Student Code of Conduct will oversee enforcement of social distancing practices, mask use and hand-sanitizer use.

___

• The Arena Parking Garage, located next to the Student Union, is open to students with a blue pass and has faculty reserved spots. During the fall 2022 semester, cars could be seen driving around the garage constantly, searching for an open spot.

SG Senate unanimously pass resolution proposing limits to faculty spots will address parking concerns

• Lyric Swann dribbles the ball up the court

Women’s basketball falls to JU in first River City Rumble meeting

• Jacksonville Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence (16) speaks with Jacksonville Jaguars Head Coach Doug Pederson during the second half of an NFL divisional round playoff football game against the Kansas City Chiefs, Saturday, Jan. 21, 2023, in Kansas City, Mo. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

Will recent Jags’ success affect UNF student ticket deals?

• Matthew Driscoll looks down at ground during timeout

Men’s basketball drops overtime heartbreaker against Central Arkansas

• A collage that Rosenbloom created in 2022 from submitted photos with variations of one recurring message: “We remember.” (Photo courtesy of Sam Rosenbloom)

The world honors Holocaust victims today. “Never forget,” UNF student says

• Spinnaker alum places for Hearst journalism award

Awards

Spinnaker alum places for Hearst journalism award

• UNF Student Union

Less than 1% of state-supplied budget put toward CRT, DEI initiatives, UNF reports

• Campi. Graphic by Spinnaker.

Campi: A new app creating opportunities at UNF developed by student

• Graphic reads National Slavery & Human Trafficking Prevention Month in big blue letters against a white background

Jacksonville

January is Human Trafficking Prevention Month: What do you need to know?

• UNF to propose housing rental rate increase at February BOT meeting, first increase in 8 years

UNF to propose housing rental rate increase at February BOT meeting, first increase in 8 years