Anti-racism training to be required for all incoming freshmen

Siddie Friar, Intern Reporter

As part of a renewed diversity initiative, all incoming freshmen at UNF will be required to attend anti-racist training classes. The announcement was made by President Szymanski last week during a digital candlelight vigil honoring victims of racial injustice. 

Szymanski also said that anti-racist training would be ‘an integral part of the first-day experience for all new faculty and all new staff.’ He further stated that ‘UNF is not tolerant of racism in any form or fashion.’ 

Additionally, Szymanski has created a new position on campus, a chief diversity officer who will report directly to him. The honor of being the first to hold the title will go to UNF alumni, Whitney Meyer. 

In a release, Szymanski stated that these steps are the first of many to show that UNF is a welcoming and inclusive campus where black lives matter and racism is denounced. 

Spinnaker will bring you more details about what the training classes will include and an in-depth sit-down with our new Chief Diversity Officer, Whitney Meyer.

___

1

• A

Abel FelicidadJun 17, 2020 at 7:37 pm

Incoming freshmen, never, ever, let someone shame you for your skin color, whatever it may be, and no matter what they might call it!