Jaguars cut ties with former stars and look towards the future for answers

John Watson, Sports Editor

Leonard Fournette is no longer a Jacksonville Jaguar after the team waived his contract early this morning in a shocking move to start the week.

This is the second major move made by the Jaguars in just two days after trading their star edge rusher Yannick Ngakoue to the Minnesota Vikings less than 24 hours ago. The Fournette move is more interesting as the team was not able to trade him.

As to why the team cut him instead of trading him, head coach Doug Marrone told reporters that the team was not able to get any value for the young running back and the team had “exhausted all trade opportunities.”

If Fournette clears waivers, he will become a free agent but the team that he signs with will owe him $4.17 million in salary this season.

In the Ngakoue deal, Minnesota is sending a 2021 second round draft pick and also a conditional 2022 fifth-round draft pick. Ngakoue agreed to take a $5.8 million pay cut in order to complete the trade.

With young quarterback Gardner Minshew at the helm and only 12 players remaining from Jacksonville’s 2017 AFC Championship team, the Jaguars look towards the future for success as young players will have the opportunity to shine and make their names heard in the 2020 season.

The Jaguars were ranked dead-last in the NFL.com’s power rankings and those were put out before Ngakoue and Fournette were moved.

___

• Jarius Hicklen works his way down the court

Men’s basketball falls to top-ranked Houston

• Kaila Rougier dribbles the ball

Women’s basketball takes down Bethune-Cookman, secures first away win

• Jose Placer shoots a three-pointer

Men’s basketball falls to High Point in high-scoring affair

• FILE - Rapper Kanye West speaks during a meeting in the Oval Office of the White House with President Donald Trump, Thursday, Oct. 11, 2018, in Washington. Kanye West was escorted out of the California headquarters of athletic shoemaker Skechers Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2022 after he showed up unannounced. Skechers says West, also known as Ye, also engaged in unauthorized filming at its corporate headquarters in Manhattan Beach and was escorted out by two executives. (AP Photo/Evan Vucci, File)

OPINION: Does canceling really work?

• (freestocks/Unsplash)

It’s officially cuffing season, celebrate the holiday season with some date ideas!

• DeSantis

The future of DeSantis’s “Stop Woke Act” in Florida after federal judge ruling

• Blessing Offor performing at the Saint Augustine Amphitheatre in Saint Augustine, Florida on November 2nd, 2022.

Through the eyes of a photographer: November

• Harry talks to the town mayor, {Courtesy of SyFy)

Review: ‘Resident Alien,’ the best science fiction comedy TV show

• Chaz Lanier drives to the rim

Men’s basketball thrashes Trinity Baptist with all-hands-on-deck performance

• Emma Broermann goes to the rim

Women’s basketball falls short, suffers tough loss to Saint Joseph’s