BREAKING: UNF sees 100% increase in student COVID-19 cases: Source? Sports, sorority…

Darvin Nelson, News Editor

Just last week, the university reported 11 positive COVID cases. A week later the number doubled. According to the university’s website, UNF has a staggering 100% increase in student self-reported COVID cases. Take a look at the numbers. A huge jump, but there’s more to the story. 

Spinnaker has been keeping a close eye on the COVID-19 numbers — this uptick is dramatic and concerning.  We asked UNF officials to put into perspective, why such a large increase?  The answer? Troubling at best. UNF officials say they know exactly what spiked the numbers.   

“The increase in cases traced back to Athletics and then spread to a club, sorority, and an off-campus event without masks and social distancing,” a UNF official said.

No specific details were given about this event, but in previous articles, Spinnaker investigators reported on video footage of various parties which appeared to be held off campus; parties where social distancing was not the priority and where little to no masks were enforced. Fast forward weeks later, and it looks as though some UNF students are still not getting the message.

There are 22 new student cases that were reported from Oct. 2 – Oct. 8 compared to 11 cases reported from Sept. 25 – Oct. 1. Four of the students with the new cases live on-campus and the other 18 live off-campus. 

Spinnaker is reaching out to discuss the continuing concern of COVID-19 with President Szymanski,the Athletic Department, and the sorority and club involved.  

Spinnaker will keep you posted on what responses, if any, we receive.

__

2 Comments

2 Responses to “BREAKING: UNF sees 100% increase in student COVID-19 cases: Source? Sports, sorority…”

1. Tamela Zoss on October 13th, 2020 3:00 pm

There are treatments available for those that catch COVID. They just have to get to a doctor, take one of the many treatments prescribed and they’ll feel better within a few days. There are treatments that even cure the illness. It’s not anything to be too concerned about

2. Jacob K. on October 15th, 2020 4:11 pm

Stop being selfish and wear masks. I do not want to keep doing these covid restrictions next semester.

• FILE - In this Feb. 16, 2021, file photo, thousands of Atlantic green sea turtles and Kemp

AP: Bats, birds among wildlife pummeled during Southern freeze

• Photo courtesy of Juan Pablo Serrano Arenas via Pexels

Sexual assault and harassment in college

• Photo by Toa Heftiba on Unsplash.

Seven haunted places in Jacksonville

• How are telephone and online scammers cashing-in on the pandemic

How are telephone and online scammers cashing-in on the pandemic

• Photo by Mika Baumeister.

Pokemon celebrates its 25th Anniversary

• UNF’s overall rankings, screenshot taken from Rate My Professors.

How does UNF hold up on Rate My Professor?

• Photo by Tabea Damm on Unsplash.

FEATURED

How to save money on travel

• Image courtesy of Anastase Maragos via Unsplash

A guide to Jacksonville thrifting

• Photo courtesy of Pixabay via Pexels

Florida ranked as one of the worst states for human trafficking

• A vehicle rests on its side after a rollover accident involving golfer Tiger Woods along a road in the Rancho Palos Verdes section of Los Angeles on Tuesday, Feb. 23, 2021. Woods suffered leg injuries in the one-car accident and was undergoing surgery, authorities and his manager said. (AP Photo/Ringo H.W. Chiu)

AP: Tiger Woods seriously injured in crash on steep LA-area road