BREAKING: UNF sees 100% increase in student COVID-19 cases: Source? Sports, sorority…

Darvin Nelson, News Editor

Just last week, the university reported 11 positive COVID cases. A week later the number doubled. According to the university’s website, UNF has a staggering 100% increase in student self-reported COVID cases. Take a look at the numbers. A huge jump, but there’s more to the story. 

Spinnaker has been keeping a close eye on the COVID-19 numbers — this uptick is dramatic and concerning.  We asked UNF officials to put into perspective, why such a large increase?  The answer? Troubling at best. UNF officials say they know exactly what spiked the numbers.   

“The increase in cases traced back to Athletics and then spread to a club, sorority, and an off-campus event without masks and social distancing,” a UNF official said.

No specific details were given about this event, but in previous articles, Spinnaker investigators reported on video footage of various parties which appeared to be held off campus; parties where social distancing was not the priority and where little to no masks were enforced. Fast forward weeks later, and it looks as though some UNF students are still not getting the message.

There are 22 new student cases that were reported from Oct. 2 – Oct. 8 compared to 11 cases reported from Sept. 25 – Oct. 1. Four of the students with the new cases live on-campus and the other 18 live off-campus. 

Spinnaker is reaching out to discuss the continuing concern of COVID-19 with President Szymanski,the Athletic Department, and the sorority and club involved.  

Spinnaker will keep you posted on what responses, if any, we receive.

__

• Photo by tabitha turner on Unsplash.

Business

Local bakeries that will bake you smile

• How inflation impacts college students

How inflation impacts college students

• A girl falling asleep in bed

FEATURED

Does white noise and other background sounds really help you fall sound asleep?

• (Angus Gray/Unsplash)

FEATURED

“We can’t criminalize being a 16 to 25-year-old male,” professor says on loud music statute

• A person looks stressed with a computer and books on their desk

How to avoid college burnout in the upcoming fall semester

•  Photo by Colin McCann.

General

Parking permits start opening for purchase, tips for getting one

• An aircraft lands at the international airport in Frankfurt, Germany

General

Having trouble with flying lately? You’re not alone.

• A crowd of people listen to a speaker

Abortion

‘We need to take action’: Protesters respond to SCOTUS decision at Jacksonville rally

• demonstrators outside the Supreme Court protest about abortion

General

Abortion no longer a constitutional right, Jacksonville protests planned

• Downtown Jacksonville Landing View of St.Johns River.

General

Jacksonville celebrates 200th birthday

2

• J

Jacob K.Oct 15, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Stop being selfish and wear masks. I do not want to keep doing these covid restrictions next semester.

• T

Tamela ZossOct 13, 2020 at 3:00 pm

There are treatments available for those that catch COVID. They just have to get to a doctor, take one of the many treatments prescribed and they’ll feel better within a few days. There are treatments that even cure the illness. It’s not anything to be too concerned about