BREAKING: UNF sees 100% increase in student COVID-19 cases: Source? Sports, sorority…

Darvin Nelson, News Editor

Just last week, the university reported 11 positive COVID cases. A week later the number doubled. According to the university’s website, UNF has a staggering 100% increase in student self-reported COVID cases. Take a look at the numbers. A huge jump, but there’s more to the story. 

Spinnaker has been keeping a close eye on the COVID-19 numbers — this uptick is dramatic and concerning.  We asked UNF officials to put into perspective, why such a large increase?  The answer? Troubling at best. UNF officials say they know exactly what spiked the numbers.   

“The increase in cases traced back to Athletics and then spread to a club, sorority, and an off-campus event without masks and social distancing,” a UNF official said.

No specific details were given about this event, but in previous articles, Spinnaker investigators reported on video footage of various parties which appeared to be held off campus; parties where social distancing was not the priority and where little to no masks were enforced. Fast forward weeks later, and it looks as though some UNF students are still not getting the message.

There are 22 new student cases that were reported from Oct. 2 – Oct. 8 compared to 11 cases reported from Sept. 25 – Oct. 1. Four of the students with the new cases live on-campus and the other 18 live off-campus. 

Spinnaker is reaching out to discuss the continuing concern of COVID-19 with President Szymanski,the Athletic Department, and the sorority and club involved.  

Spinnaker will keep you posted on what responses, if any, we receive.

__

• Supreme Court Associate Justice Stephen Breyer testifies before a House Committee on Appropriations Subcommittee on Financial Services hearing to review the FY 2016 budget request of the Supreme Court of the United States, on Capitol Hill in Washington, March 23, 2015. Breyer is retiring, giving President Joe Biden an opening he has pledged to fill by naming the first Black woman to the high court, two sources told The Associated Press Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2022. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta, File)

General

AP: Justice Breyer to retire; Biden to fill vacancy

• Members of the Student Fee Assessment Committee deliberate where a $0.43 fee allocation would come from.

General

SG committee members swing for the fences with fee proposal, Administration committee members expect rejection

• University of North Florida COVID-19 cases between Sep. 1, 2021 and Dec. 2, 2021, as reported by the UNF Student Health Center, accessible on the UNF Emergency Management site.

UNF’s fate in the face of Omicron uncertain

• Members of the Student Fees Assessment Committee discuss a proposal during their meeting on Dec. 2, 2021.

General

Committee to finalize student fees proposal Wednesday

• A visitor to the Shougang Park walks past the logos for the Beijing Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Beijing, China, Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2021. China on Monday, Dec. 6, 2021 threatened to take firm countermeasures if the U.S. proceeds with a diplomatic boycott of Februarys Beijing Winter Olympic Games. (AP Photo/Ng Han Guan)

General

AP: US plans diplomatic boycott of Beijing Winter Olympics

• Jacksonville special election happening Tuesday: Candidates and voting locations

Election Coverage

Jacksonville special election happening Tuesday: Candidates and voting locations

• The sky glows a gorgeous rosy red as the sun disappears over the horizon of the Thomas G. Carpenter Library parking lot.

General

Parking tickets turn digital at UNF

• Photo courtesy of The Game Awards.

The Game Awards 2021: How to watch & what to expect

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Hawkeye’ episode 3, a spoiler review

• Shekinah Mitchell’s mural ‘We Are All One’ hangs on the wall in the Intercultural Center’s lounge.

‘We Are All One’ mural on display in UNF’s Intercultural Center

2

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

Your email address will not be published.

• J

Jacob K.Oct 15, 2020 at 4:11 pm

Stop being selfish and wear masks. I do not want to keep doing these covid restrictions next semester.

• T

Tamela ZossOct 13, 2020 at 3:00 pm

There are treatments available for those that catch COVID. They just have to get to a doctor, take one of the many treatments prescribed and they’ll feel better within a few days. There are treatments that even cure the illness. It’s not anything to be too concerned about