The art of college pranks

Erik Feliciano, Reporter

When you think about college life, some of the things that come to mind are parties, cramming for finals, and crazy college pranks. Over the years there have been a wide variety of pranks, some harmless, some that have gone wrong and some that are downright crazy. Here are just a few college pranks that students managed to get away with.

1. Back in the year 2000, a group of MIT students launched a website titled “BonsaiKitten” which was aimed at selling ornaments that featured live cats stuffed inside jars. This would lead to the humane society and other animal activist groups falling hook, line, and sinker for the prank. Not only did they get involved, so did the FBI which proved it to be a hoax.
  2. This prank is one that some think to be an urban legend. On the night before the 1896 Auburn-Georgia Tech football game, students went under the cover of night to grease the train tracks that their opposing team would be coming on. This would result in the train sliding well past their destination, causing them to have to walk back to the stop.
  3. One very famous prank happened in the year 1956 where a group of Cambridge students managed to get a car onto the roof of one of the school buildings, which baffled everyone. The vehicle would have to be disassembled in order for it to be brought back down. The culprits didn’t come forward until another 50 years later.

While these pranks were pretty grandiose, there have also been some smaller pranks that college students have pulled off to annoy their friends.

1. One incredibly annoying prank that has been done is a college student filling his roommates room to the brim with popcorn using industrial sized trash bags.
  2. Another simple yet petty prank is wrapping all of a roommates belongings in gift wrappings. This will no doubt annoy them to no return.
  3. Finally one that has surely scared quite a few people is putting a dummy in their roommates bed while they sleep for them to wake up to a not-so-fun surprise.

Pranks can be fun, but at the same time they can go a little overboard. If you or someone you know is about to pull off a prank, make sure to stay safe and don’t take it too far.

___

• The cast of Hamlet receives applause from the audience after their performance at MOCA Jacksonville.

A closer look at UNF Shakespeare’s Hamlet

• Courtesy of ABC

The Bachelor: Episodes 1 and 2 Recap

• Graphic by Spinnaker Creative Services Team.

Join Jacksonville at this year’s Martin Luther King Jr. Day Parade

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ spoiler free review

• Shot of the front of the University of North Florida entrance and fountain. Courtesy of the UNF Athletics website.

UNF kickoffs their 50th anniversary celebration with an event full of games, prizes, and giveaways

• Graphic by Majdouline Bakor.

Twitch Streaming: Handling hate raids and DDoS attacks

• Photo courtesy of Amazon.

“A Man Named Scott” movie review

• Photo courtesy of The Game Awards.

The Game Awards 2021: How to watch & what to expect

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Hawkeye’ episode 3, a spoiler review

• Mural of a person holding books.

UNF Library introduces ‘Stress Management’ online resource display

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.