Throwback movie review of ‘Hocus Pocus’

Erik Feliciano, Reporter

With Halloween only a few days away, what better movie to keep the spooky momentum going than “Hocus Pocus”?

After moving from California to Salem, Massachusetts, Max becomes the new kid in town with no one to really call a friend. But after meeting his classmate Allison, he decides to do whatever it takes to impress her which happened to lead the both of them as well as his sister Dani to an old abandoned house which is more than what it seems.

Due to Max’s desire to impress Allison, he completes a ritual which wakes up the Sanderson sisters from a 300 year slumber. Now it’s up to these 3 kids as well as the magical cat Binx to stop these three witches from obtaining immortality before the sun rises.

While Max and his crew aren’t exactly the most interesting cast of characters, the Sanderson sisters steal the show with their charisma and as well as how well they complement one another. The witches are what helps this film stay afloat from beginning to end.

“Hocus Pocus” isn’t the most impressive film there is, but it does manage to have a certain comforting feeling that makes you want to get in a blanket and watch while indulging in every variation of pumpkin spice.

“Hocus Pocus” is a really fun movie to add to your Halloween movie marathon. Spinnaker gives this film a 3 out of 5 sails.

___

• Student union banner

It’s homecoming week at UNF. Here’s what you need to know

• Kanopy logo

UNF’s secret free streaming service: Kanopy

• The Tabacinic Campus for Jewish Life at UNF is located a short mile drive from the core UNF campus.

Fighting hate and antisemitsm, Holocaust museum travels to UNF next week

• Pentatonix performed for a packed Vystar Veterans Memorial Arena on Wednesday, Dec. 14, 2022.

Pentatonix bring Christmas tour and holiday spirits to Jacksonville

• Singing for his church initially inspired Karim to learn English and continue performing (Photo courtesy of Karim Zabaneh)

“Keep on pushing:” A UNF student and his voice

• Harry talks to the town mayor, {Courtesy of SyFy)

Review: ‘Resident Alien,’ the best science fiction comedy TV show

• Syril Karn (left, Kyle Soller) and Cassian Andor (right, Diego Luna) in Andor. (Courtesy of Lucasfilm)

Review: Booting the flashy heroes, ‘Andor’ turns the spotlight on ordinary people

• Jar of Flies album art by Alice in Chains

Jar of Flies by Alice in Chains, an album review

• Phones capture DeSantis and Luke Bryan on stage

Country artist Luke Bryan brings tour to Jacksonville, DeSantis makes special appearance

• Kenzie sings

Gallery

Kenzie’s Place wins UNF’s 2022 Battle of the Bands