Florida votes to increase minimum wage to $15 an hour

Kaitlyn Bowers, Features Editor

Florida voters have voted yes to gradually increasing the minimum wage to $15 an hour, making it the first state in the South to have done so. 

Florida Amendment 2, also known as the $15 minimum wage initiative, was approved by around 61% of voters. The initiative required a 60% supermajority vote rather than a simple majority. 

The Amendment will cause the minimum wage to increase to $10 an hour on Sept. 30, 2021. Each year subsequently will increase by $1 until it reaches $15 in 2026. After that, the minimum wage will continue to be adjusted for inflation. 

The amendment also states that as of Sept. 30, 2027, the minimum wage in Florida must be adjusted based on the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Owners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W), which means wages will be adjusted according to consumer prices. 

According to reports on a minimum wage simulation model developed by the Economic Policy Institute, this amendment will increase wages for 2.5 million Floridians, which is a little over a quarter of the workforce of the state. The report also finds that this amendment will help many households out of poverty while also bringing workers of all ages to a more livable wage. 

While many consider this as a win, others fear this will mean an increase in prices as a whole and cause workers to get fewer hours due to the increased wages. As Florida is one of only eight states to raise the minimum wage to $15, the effects it could have on the economy can only be guessed. 

__

• Photo by Martin Sanchez via Unsplash.

UNF reports 178 cases last week

• The cast of Hamlet receives applause from the audience after their performance at MOCA Jacksonville.

A closer look at UNF Shakespeare’s Hamlet

• Meet the Candidates. Graphic by Carter Mudgett.

Meet the candidates: Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer interviews to begin

• Shot of an Osprey sports uniform sleeve.

Shorthanded Ospreys squad gives Florida State everything they can handle

• Lufrano Gallery installation created by Camryn Media. Photo by Carter Mudgett.

The Lufrano Intercultural Gallery’s new exhibit opens for students and faculty to view

• Of 336 votes, 60% of the respondents say UNF should keep classes in-person.

UNF students grapple with whether to return in-person

• Interim President Chally rejects student fees proposal, current student fees remain same

Interim President Chally rejects student fees proposal, current student fees remain same

• Courtesy of ABC

The Bachelor: Episodes 1 and 2 Recap

• Victoria Shore, Headshot courtesy of Student Government

Advisor Shore retires after 11 years at UNF

• Photo by Justin Nedrow

Strong second quarter propels Ospreys WBB past Kennesaw State

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

Your email address will not be published.