Deck the Chairs holiday beach event

Darvin Nelson, News Editor

Deck the Chairs is an annual celebration in Jacksonville Beach in which citizens display beautifully decorated lifeguard chairs. People come from across state lines to see these creative chairs.

Photo from Deck the Chairs’ Facebook.

“Free and open to the public, the light display aims to build community pride, foster private and public relationships, and provide a safe, active, family-friendly downtown environment during the holidays,” the event’s Facebook page reads.

This nonprofit six-week long event features Christmas lights, music, and an array of decorated lifeguard chairs. The event ends on Jan. 1 and is held at the Seawalk Pavilion in Jacksonville Beach. Deck the Chairs is also pet friendly, so feel free to bring your dog along.

Photo from Deck the Chairs’ Facebook.

This is the exhibit’s seventh year in community service, promoting local businesses, instilling public pride, and sharing cultural diversity through creative expression.

Be sure to check out the UNF-themed lifeguard chairs. One chair was designed by first-year science and engineering students in the STEM Living-Learning Community, and the other is sponsored by the UNF Alumni Association who worked with Deck the Chairs founder and UNF alumnus, Kurtis W. Loftus.

On Saturday, Dec. 5, there will be UNF night from 4 p.m. -6 p.m. UNF holiday merchandise will be available and they will be showing a movie at 6 p.m. at the Pavilion.

Stay safe Ospreys, and enjoy the fun!

__

• The Tabacinic Campus for Jewish Life at UNF is located a short mile drive from the core UNF campus.

Fighting hate and antisemitsm, Holocaust museum travels to UNF next week

• Student union banner

Kick off 2023 with UNF’s event-packed week

• (Priscilla Du Preez/Unsplash)

Thanksgiving: The importance of gratitude

• Entrance to Neckles’ Bless This House gallery at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Jacksonville.

MOCA artist Shervone Neckles shares the creative process behind her thought-provoking artwork

• Photo courtesy of Osprey Robotics

Club Spotlight: Osprey Robotics

• A rainbow flag waves at the starting line of a Pride Observance Month 5K run at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia, June 21, 2019. The rainbow flag is displayed at lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer or questioning events worldwide as a symbol for diversity in the LGBTQ community. (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Monica Roybal)

‘Perseverance and solidarity’: UNF Pride Club members discuss the history of Pride

• Oktoberfest information

Ozzie Oktoberfest: The 5 W’s to know

• The video game posters, featuring posters for Nintendo’s Metroid Dread and The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild, the former of which is one of “100’s” of new additions to their inventory, according to the sale

UNF poster sale this week

• A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

• Interior of the Ogier Garden’s greenhouse.

Nothing beets the Ogier Garden’s hidden gems