COVID-19 Antibodies: What are they and what do they do?

Morgan Jeremy, Reporter

As COVID-19 continues to dominate conversations, it’s important to clear up misconceptions surrounding one aspect of the virus, antibodies. Here are some answers to some frequently asked questions about COVID-19 antibodies: what they are and what it means for you. 

An artist’s illustration of antibodies (blue-green structures) attempting to latch onto the antigens on the outer surface of a coronavirus (red). Antibodies are one of the major players in the immune system’s attack against viruses. (Image courtesy of DARIAREN/ISTOCK/GETTY IMAGES PLUS)

What are antibodies?

Antibodies are a group of proteins known as immunoglobulins responsible for locating and attacking foreign substances in the body. These foreign substances, known as antigens, attach themselves to specific white blood cells known as B lymphocytes, causing them to divide. This causes them to transform into plasma cells, which then secrete millions of antibodies. Those antibodies travel through the body’s blood and lymph systems, hunting for the source of those antigens. When the antibodies find an antigen, they latch onto it and alert the immune system to send more antibodies to destroy the pathogen.

How do you know that you have the antibodies?

You can know you have the antibodies by taking a COVID-antibodies test, available from healthcare providers and laboratories, or through a blood test and donating blood. 

I tested positive for COVID-antibodies. What does that mean?

A positive antibodies test means that you have antibodies from an infection with the virus, which causes COVID-19. According to the CDC, there is a chance that a positive result means you have antibodies from a disease with a different virus from the same family of viruses (called coronaviruses). 

I have the antibodies; that means I’m immune, right?

Not exactly. While having antibodies to the virus that causes COVID-19 may grant some protection from being infected again, this is not certain. Scientists are still researching to see if this immunity is possible and, if so, for how long. Regardless of whether you have the antibodies or not, you should always follow CDC guidelines, wear a mask, and practice social distance. 

___

• Photo by Joan Tran via Unsplash.

Struggling to get enough sleep?: UNF administrator offers tips for improvement

• Photo by John Schnobrich via Unsplash.

Digital Health: How to deal with trolls and bullies online

• Exploring the importance of stretching

Exploring the importance of stretching

• The words smile spray painted onto a driftwood next to a smiley face emoji.

New year, New you: How to succeed in Spring 2022

• Graphic by Spinnaker Creative Services.

Health

UNF COVID cases explode to highest number ever

UNF COVID cases surge as students return

• A black cat is seen hiding behind students bikes, photo by Nathan Turoff

Critter Column

Housing responds to feral cats at Osprey Fountains

• Water Advisory on UNF campus; Starbucks and Chick-fil-A closed

Guides for Freshman

Water Advisory on UNF campus; Starbucks and Chick-fil-A closed

• Graphic by Majdouline Bakor

Jumping back into finals after Thanksgiving Break

• Updated: Students remain concerned about mold in Osprey Hall

Gallery

Updated: Students remain concerned about mold in Osprey Hall

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

Your email address will not be published.