UNF alumni creates PC game

Kaitlyn Bowers, Features Editor

Like many other people, the pandemic hit UNF alum Brian Durham hard. What started as a lost job, however, ended up being one of the best things that could have happened to him, as it opened up the opportunity for Brian to chase his dream. 

Graduating in the fall of 2016 with a degree in information technology, Durham is now proud to be able to call himself a self-made game developer. Currently, he’s putting the finishing touches on his first game, “Nominal.”

Brian Durham

“Nominal” is a party game set in outer space, but contained in one ship. The goal is to keep the ship from blowing up, but it isn’t quite so simple. Durham compares the game to “Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes,” a 2015 puzzle game that relies heavily on communication between the players. 

“The morning before I was pulled into a meeting to be told that I was being let go, I was just like, ‘What if there’s a game like ‘Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes,’ but it was in space, and instead of a bomb, it’s your spacecraft basically malfunctioning?’,” Durham said. “And then about two hours later I was let go, and I was like, ‘I guess I know what I’m doing.’”

Essentially, the game involves one player being the spacecraft commander. This player is the only one with the manual to the spacecraft, and the other players, taking the role of crew members, aren’t allowed to look at it. The manual explains emergency protocols, different aspects of the ship and meanings of various indicators that may pop up. As you can imagine, communication between all players is incredibly important.

Upon release, the game will only be available for PC. However, Durham intends on releasing the game on every platform if the reviews are positive enough. The game is planned to be released in the month of January, although the exact date is currently unknown. 

“Functionally, it’s all there. I’m just working on the final polish,” Durham said. “As long as my hands don’t disintegrate, I should be able to meet my deadline.”

While this is his first time acting as his own boss, Durham doesn’t find it too hard to stay on a schedule. If anything, it’s relieving to be left to his own devices. 

“I wake up every day more motivated than I ever have been,” Durham said. “This is something that I actually care about. It’s my baby. I make all the calls, and I don’t have the stress of a boss pointing out typos that go in my quarterly review.”

To stay up to date, Durham suggests following his game studio’s Twitter page. More information on the game can also be found on the game’s Steam page and website. The game’s trailer can be viewed down below.

_

• Social Media Expo JAX 2021 hosted at UNF

Social Media Expo JAX 2021 hosted at UNF

• Courtesy of Warner Bros.

‘DUNE’ review

• Halloween Events happening at UNF

Halloween Events happening at UNF

• Graphic by Spinnaker Creative Department.

Editorials

Letter from the Editor: Halloween Open House Invitation

• Photo courtesy of EA, DICE.

“Battlefield 2042” first impressions

• Graphic by Majdouline Bakor.

Parkinson’s Moving Day at UNF

• UNF Student Union

Food Truck Frenzy at the Osprey Plaza

• Courtesy of Warner Bros.

DC FanDome 2021: Recap

• Photo by Dhivakaran S via Pexels.

‘Take Back the Night’ returns in-person

• Courtesy of Universal Pictures.

‘No Time to Die’ review

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.