A guide to meal prepping

Hayley Simonson, Managing Editor

College students are stressed and busy — mix that with being hangry and broke, and you have yourself a recipe for disaster. There’s a solution to staying healthy and in control of your finances when it comes to food. If you’re too busy to stop and cook a meal, you may want to look into meal prepping.  

Eating out and hitting the local McDonalds is a great time — It’s convenient, easy, and fast. But those dollars add up, and fast-food might end up leaving you tired, lazy, and just not feeling your best. 

According to a study by Supermarket News, 55 percent of shoppers polled that they were also eating at home more frequently because of the pandemic.

So maybe you have finished scrolling through pictures of mason jars filled with salad on Pinterest and you’re wondering where to start. 

The first step is to plan out what to eat for the week. Whether you’re vegan, gluten-free, keto, etc., figure out what recipes would work best for you and write them out on a list, planning what meal you’ll have on what week day. Apps like MealPrepPro and Prepear can also help you get meal plans, recipes, and shopping lists organized.

Next, you’ll want to designate a day to prepare the food for the week. You’ll want to choose a day where your activity load is light. If leftovers isn’t really your thing, designate two days to meal prepping. For example, cook half of your meals for the week on Sunday, and the other half on Wednesday. 

Then you’ll want to find some good containers to preserve your meals in. A recommendation is the Ez Prepa Meal Prep Containers on Amazon. A 20-pack sells for $19.99 and they are built for portioning out meals, microwaving straight out of the fridge, and are dish-washer safe. Mason jars are also a great form of storage, as well as many other brands of containers that can be found just about anywhere depending on what you’re looking for. 

The internet has a plethora of meal-prep recipe ideas that can be altered and modified depending on your dietary needs and preferences. 

UNF Nutrition Services is a service where UNF’s Wellness Dietitians “offer a holistic approach to nutrition education and personalized nutrition counseling. You can set up an appointment with them where they will provide you with tools to confidently make your own smart food choices, practice flexibility, and make smart goals.” 

Courtesy of UNF Nutrition Service’s Facebook page.

Like their page on Facebook where they post not just recipe ideas, and tips, but meal prep recipes too. 

Don’t let meal prepping intimidate you, and if worst comes to worst, there’s always a McDonalds not more than five miles away. 

____

• The University of North Floridas prior president headshots are shown on the left next to president-elect Dr. Moez Limayem on the right.

Dr. Moez Limayem chosen as UNF president-elect, awaiting BOG confirmation

• A protestor speaks into a microphone at “The People’s Abortion Rally” for abortion rights in front of the Duval County Courthouse

Jacksonville activists join state-wide protests for women’s rights

• The University of North Florida Board of Trustees debates after finishing their four presidential candidate interviews

Developing relationships and diversity in higher education, the final day of presidential interviews

• University of North Florida Board of Trustee members listen to Marc Miller as he answers a question during his final interview

What is “uniquely UNF?”: First half of final presidential interviews conclude

• A thermometer is viewed on a wall behind the Kansas City Chiefs bench during the second half of an NFL football game against the Jacksonville Jaguars Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019, in Jacksonville, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)

Jacksonville heat mapping project initiated by UNF professor

• The USS Orleck, moored on the North bank of the St Johns River.

The USS Orleck’s future in Jacksonville

• VJ Ibones (center) with members of his team

Osprey and entrepreneur: a UNF alum’s journey through the crypto world

• Courtesy of Osprey Racing’s Instagram. Posted on Dec. 15, 2021.

Osprey Racing prepares for national competition

• Graphic by Molly / Spinnaker.

Introducing UNF’s VR lab dedicated to cultural anthropology

• First, only opportunity for UNF community to meet candidates begins during finals

First, only opportunity for UNF community to meet candidates begins during finals

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

Your email address will not be published.