The history of Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Jordan Ramos, Reporter

Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) was created 20 years ago in 2001, but its history goes further back. The legacy of SAAM was led by Black women and women of color dating all the way back to the 1860s.

After the Civil War in 1866, there was a shootout between White Memphis police officers and Black union soldiers. After this, with the help of the police force, White residents went through Black neighborhoods and assaulted, murdered, and raped Black civilians and soldiers. This became known as the Memphis Massacre. Five Black women, who survived the massacre, testified in a congressional investigation. These sexual violence testimonies were the first to be a part of a US court trial. 

Ida B. Wells was a huge figure in the Sexual Assault Awareness movement. She spent her life fighting against gender-based violence as well as sexism and racism. She led anti-rape movements throughout the South. Wells mostly focused on getting rid of the stereotypes that plagued Black women and men. Those stereotypes were the hyper-sexualization of Black women and the idea that all Black men are perpetrators of sexual assault.

In 1971, the first rape crisis center was built in San Francisco called the “Bay Area Women Against Rape.” 400 centers were created around the US within the next five years. The Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape was the first state coalition to form in 1975. Many other national organizations were formed and along with them came marches and events such as the Women’s Equal Rights Parades. 

In 1994, the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) was passed by President Bill Clinton. This act provided funding for the investigations and prosecutions of violent crimes against women. It also asked for restitution on those convicted and allowed for civil redress. This was the first time in US history that gender-based violence was not a personal issue but a legal issue. 

The National Sexual Violence Resource Center (NSVRC) was created in 2000. A year later, April was recognized as Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Eight years later, President Barack Obama officially declared April as SAAM. Obama is the first and only president to recognize the month. 

____

• The Tabacinic Campus for Jewish Life at UNF is located a short mile drive from the core UNF campus.

Fighting hate and antisemitsm, Holocaust museum travels to UNF next week

• Student union banner

Kick off 2023 with UNF’s event-packed week

• (Priscilla Du Preez/Unsplash)

Thanksgiving: The importance of gratitude

• Entrance to Neckles’ Bless This House gallery at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Jacksonville.

MOCA artist Shervone Neckles shares the creative process behind her thought-provoking artwork

• Photo courtesy of Osprey Robotics

Club Spotlight: Osprey Robotics

• A rainbow flag waves at the starting line of a Pride Observance Month 5K run at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia, June 21, 2019. The rainbow flag is displayed at lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer or questioning events worldwide as a symbol for diversity in the LGBTQ community. (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Monica Roybal)

‘Perseverance and solidarity’: UNF Pride Club members discuss the history of Pride

• Oktoberfest information

Ozzie Oktoberfest: The 5 W’s to know

• The video game posters, featuring posters for Nintendo’s Metroid Dread and The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild, the former of which is one of “100’s” of new additions to their inventory, according to the sale

UNF poster sale this week

• A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

• Interior of the Ogier Garden’s greenhouse.

Nothing beets the Ogier Garden’s hidden gems