Fireworks & fun: Local Fourth of July celebrations to enjoy in Jacksonville

Michael Tracey, Reporter

Put some sunscreen on and ice the coolers because Independence Day celebrations are just around the corner. The city of Jacksonville plans to entertain residents this weekend with live music, games, and of course, fireworks.

Photo courtesy of Stephanie McCabe via Unsplash.

Jacksonville’s Fourth of July annual celebration plans to up the ante this year by providing residents with six locations to catch a dazzling array of fireworks on display. 

In the downtown area, the massive fireworks show over the St. Johns River starts at 9:45 p.m. The remaining designated spots will begin their spectacle simultaneously to join the various communities around Duval County together for the occasion. 

The viewing locations are listed as follows. 

• Downtown Jacksonville
  • St. Johns Town Center
  • FSCJ North Campus
  • The Avenues Mall
  • Trinity Baptist Church
  • Ed Austin Regional Park 
Photo courtesy of City of Jacksonville special events.

Locals will have the opportunity to enjoy fireworks a day early on Saturday, July 3. Jacksonville’s Jumbo Shrimp baseball team is hosting the traditional July 3 Independence Day fireworks celebration at the 121 Financial Ballpark stadium

The show begins at 9:15 p.m., but fans might want to arrive early to the event. In the hours leading up to the fireworks, there will be a screening of a baseball movie on the high-definition video board, ballpark fun, and kids zone activities. Gates open at 6 p.m. and the film starts at 7:30 p.m. 

Photo courtesy of Jumbo Shrimp.

For more information about the event and to purchase tickets, visit Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp | MiLB.com.

The Riverfront Plaza at 2 Independent Drive in downtown Jacksonville will host the main attraction of the holiday weekend starting at 5 p.m. 

Entertainment for the Fourth of July downtown celebration includes live musical performances, refreshments provided by food trucks, and a family-friendly environment. The activities expected to pop up in the area are an inflatable skee ball, a rollercoaster obstacle course, inflatable ax throwing, and bounce houses. 

Before the fireworks appear over the St. Johns River, there will be live music provided by The Bryan Malpass Band and STR8UP. On top of those performances, there will be a concert presented by Miller Electric Company with the to-be-announced acts. 

For more information and up-to-date announcements, visit the events Facebook page.

Downtown has a substitution for the Riverfront Plaza if large crowds aren’t an option. In addition, there will be two local establishments providing prime rooftop viewing locations during the evening. 

The Museum of Science & History will have a premiere viewing on their rooftop starting at 9 p.m. The price is $15 per person, but MOSH has the museum open from 5 p.m – 9 p.m to allow guests to explore the exhibits before heading to the rooftop. The MOSH fourth of July event is an excellent opportunity for the family to spend some quality time together before the main event.

Adults looking for a romantic date night can make a reservation at Estrella Cocina’s Fourth of July event. The rooftop kitchen and bar will host an all-you-can-eat-tex-mex menu that’s $40 per person. Estrella’s event begins at 6 p.m. and concludes after the fantastic fireworks display.

For more information and to purchase tickets, visit the official website Fourth of July at MOSH | Jacksonville’s Museum of Science and History.

For more tickets and information about Estrella’s event, visit their website at Estrella’s 4th of July & Firework Celebration.

Not interested in fireworks? Here are alternative ventures around Jacksonville to embrace the holiday weekend.

JAX Cooking Studio

Celebration 5K – 1st Place Sports

Classes – Big Fish Co

However the holiday is spent, be safe and have fun! 

________

Photo of Michael Tracey
Michael Tracey, General Assignment Reporter

Michael is finishing his last semester and intends on using his degree in communication to continue his work as a writer, host, and podcaster. His passion...

• UNF logo

Updated: UNF releases urgent alert of arson on campus

• Photo by Ramiro Martinez via Unsplash

Longest partial lunar eclipse of the century to happen tonight

• Covid-19 (SARS-CoV-2) vaccine booster dose. Photo by Parang Mehta/Unsplash.

COVID-19 booster shots and what to know

• A tomb guard of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment, known as The Old Guard, stands during a centennial commemoration event at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, in Arlington National Cemetery, Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2021, in Arlington, Va. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, Pool)

AP: Biden salutes troops as ‘spine of America’ on Veterans Day

• UNF logo

“A small-town mayor”: students give their thoughts on their ideal UNF president

• SDS releases list of demands, UNF responds

SDS releases list of demands, UNF responds

• Student Union. Photo credit Jonathan Merin.

UNF Presidential Search Committee hosting student open forum Wednesday

• SG - Student Government

Student Government swears in 17 new senators

• Delegates gather inside the venue on another day at the COP26 U.N. Climate Summit in Glasgow, Scotland, Wednesday, Nov. 3, 2021. The U.N. climate summit in Glasgow gathers leaders from around the world, in Scotlands biggest city, to lay out their vision for addressing the common challenge of global warming. (AP Photo/Alberto Pezzali)

Warmer seasons to come, UNF professor explains

• In this Aug. 25, 2020, file photo, Kyle Rittenhouse carries a weapon as he walks along Sheridan Road in Kenosha, Wis., during a night of unrest following the weekend police shooting of Jacob Blake. Rittenhouse is white. So were the three men he shot during street protests in Kenosha in 2020. But for many people, Rittenhouses trial will be watched closely as the latest referendum on race and the American judicial system. (Adam Rogan/The Journal Times via AP, File)

Prosecutor says Rittenhouse instigated Kenosha bloodshed