The Significance of Yom Kippur

Hayley Simonson, Managing Editor

Yom Kippur follows Rosh Hashanah and is considered the most important holiday in the Jewish Faith. According to tradition, Jews are encouraged to make amends and ask forgiveness for sins committed during the past year. 

The holiday is observed with a 25-hour fast and religious service. The fast has no negative intention. The purpose of the fast is to abstain from focusing on materialism to cleanse the body and spirit. The Torah orders all Jewish adults to take part in the fast aside from the sick, elderly, and women who have recently given birth.

Rabbis and their congregations read from a special prayer book known as the Machzor during Yom Kippur and five prayer services take place on Yom Kippur. The first is on the eve of the holiday and the last is before sunset on the following day. 

Some common traditions for the holiday are the pre-Yom Kippur feast, where families and friends convene for a meal finished before sunset. Then there is the breaking of the fast, where many people return home for a celebratory meal with traditional foods. It is also customary for religious jews to wear white on Yom Kippur, a symbol of purity.

___

• A crowd of people listen to a speaker

Abortion

‘We need to take action’: Protesters respond to SCOTUS decision at Jacksonville rally

• Someone taking notes during a meeting

Internships bridge the gap between college and the real world, professor explains

• (Lauren Fox/Spinnaker)

Pride and pandering: Are companies supporting equality or good PR?

• black and white tiles spell out AMAZING DAD on a table

Columns

Creative Father’s Day gifts you can actually afford

• A Wear Orange banner reads we can end gun violence on a fence at Success Park during a clean-up event

Locals look to brighter future with ‘Wear Orange’ park clean-up

• The University of North Floridas prior president headshots are shown on the left next to president-elect Dr. Moez Limayem on the right.

Dr. Moez Limayem chosen as UNF president-elect, awaiting BOG confirmation

• A protestor speaks into a microphone at “The People’s Abortion Rally” for abortion rights in front of the Duval County Courthouse

Jacksonville activists join state-wide protests for women’s rights

• The University of North Florida Board of Trustees debates after finishing their four presidential candidate interviews

Developing relationships and diversity in higher education, the final day of presidential interviews

• University of North Florida Board of Trustee members listen to Marc Miller as he answers a question during his final interview

What is “uniquely UNF?”: First half of final presidential interviews conclude

• A thermometer is viewed on a wall behind the Kansas City Chiefs bench during the second half of an NFL football game against the Jacksonville Jaguars Sunday, Sept. 8, 2019, in Jacksonville, Fla. (AP Photo/Phelan M. Ebenhack)

Jacksonville heat mapping project initiated by UNF professor