UNF Brooks College of Health School of Nursing investigating cheating scandal

By Matt Head, Josh Whitson and Joseph Basco

Photo by Ryan Thompson

The UNF Brooks College of Health’s School of Nursing are investigating a cheating scandal regarding a test.

The Spinnaker confirmed the incident Thursday with multiple students involved in the School of Nursing who asked not to be named out of concern for repercussions from the school. The students said the School of Nursing gathered all the students for a meeting earlier this semester and required every student to sign an “integrity letter.”

One student said the nursing program is highly competitive and no one wants to lose their position in the program.

Members of the the Brooks College of Health and UNF Assistant Vice President of Public Relations Sharon Ashton declined to comment, citing the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act as a safeguard against disclosing student information.

“UNF is under strict state and federal privacy laws with respect to, not just student grades, but all records we maintain when it comes to student conduct and academics,” Ashton said in an email.  “Students have a right to privacy, and we have an obligation to provide them with that privacy.”

The University of Central Florida and other universities have handled similar situations this way by making public announcements. UNF still refuses to share any information despite action already taken against at least one student, according to a source.

The Spinnaker is currently seeking legal counsel for an opinion about the incident.

Please check out your OTV News for continuing coverage.