Fiber optic system under UNF track clocks Olympic-qualifying time

The 2012 NCAA Division I Outdoor Track and Field East Preliminaries kicked off with high-scoring athletes, including a Florida State University sprinter who ran an Olympic-qualifying time in the 100-meter dash.

Maurice Mitchell came in first place at 10.17 seconds and will be competing in the quarterfinals Friday, May 25, at 6:30 p.m. He met the Olympic qualifier standard by a hundredth of a second.

A fiber optic system that was installed under the UNF track with the help of the UNF Information Technology Services determined the runner’s time and will detect all athletes’ times at the NCAA East Preliminaries.

In order to provide a proper review of its accuracy and success rate, UNF Assistant Director of Network Engineering Steve Lyon requested to discuss the new system after the NCAA East Preliminary ends May 26.

“I want to paint the infrastructure in its best light,” Lyon said.

The track and field meet, which is held at UNF’s Hodges Stadium, lasts until Saturday, May 26.