Highlights from Sept. 24 Senate meeting: Senate approves dining renovations; students speak out against Chick-fil-A

Lydia Moneir

Photo by Connor Spielmaker
UNF Student Body Chief Justice Alex Goetz swears in Gurgen Petrosan and Ross Keen to general Senate seats Sept 24.

Chick-fil-A, Papa John’s to come to campus
With 37 approvals and five disapprovals, the Senate approved the request for funding renovations of on-campus dining. The request was for $672,800.

These renovations will be carried out in Building 8 for a Chick-fil-A in Alumni Square and in the Student Union for a Papa John’s in the Student Union.

Chick-fil-A will be replacing Sbarro, and Papa John’s will be replacing Salsarita’s.

Students speak out against Chick-fil-A
UNF Pride President Mariah Moss was one among many students who spoke out against Chick-fil-A coming to campus.

Reasons varied from Chick-fil-A’s funding of anti-gay hate groups to the question of introducing more healthy dining options to campus life.

Moss equated the hate group funded by Chick-fil-A to the KKK and said the LGBT students would not let this stand.

Other speakers promised outrage and protest from the LGBT community, should Chick-fil-A come to campus.

Senate approves two appointments
The Senate appointed Gurgen Petrosan, a UNF international studies freshman, to a general Senate seat with 39 approvals and two disapprovals.

The Senate also approved Ross Keen, a UNF nursing freshman, to a general Senate seat with 37 disapprovals and four disapprovals.

Intramural enhancement funding passes
The Senate approved a request for $34,957 for intramural sports with 39 approvals and one disapproval.

Wellness center to see salary increases
The Senate approved a request for $13,926.25 to support salary increases for title reclassifications at the UNF Student Wellness Complex passed with 37 approvals and one disapproval.

Email Lydia Moneir at [email protected]