Esprey Awards recognize campus community members’ work

Danae Leake

Mireille Smeen and Andrew Coconato were the hosts of the Esprey Awards.  Photo by Kristen Smith
Mireille Smeen and Andrew Coconato were the hosts of the Esprey Awards.
Photo by Kristen Smith

Several UNF students, athletes, musicians, an athletic coach and a Greek organization took home awards recognizing their achievements throughout the 2014-2015 school year tonight, April 15 at Student Government’s first ever Esprey Awards. Students determined the winners by voting for nominees in eleven distinguished categories. Andrew Coconato and Mireille Smeen hosted the inaugural event.

Musician of the Year: Daniel T. Dickinson, music major and saxophonist

Vocalist of the Year: Kerra Simmons, who studies classical opera and has a full-ride scholarship to Texas State University for a master of music degree

Men’s basketball Head Coach Matthew Driscoll received the Athletic Coach of the Year award. Photo by Kristen Smith
Men’s basketball Head Coach Matthew Driscoll received the Athletic Coach of the Year award.
Photo by Kristen Smith

Volunteer of the Year: Matthew Silberstein, who created Osprey Social Hour for children with autism

Scholar of the Year: Brandy Mamo, special education senior at the College of Education and Human Services with a concentration in deaf studies

Club of the Year: Catholic Ospreys

Greek Organization of the Year: Delta Gamma

Athletic Coach of the Year: Men’s basketball Head Coach Matthew Driscoll, for leading his team to its first NCAA Tournament appearance

Female Athlete of the Year: Megan Dorsey, women’s soccer team goalie with 93 saves and a 1.73 goal average per game

Male Athlete of the Year: Beau Beech, men’s basketball guard who averaged 13 points and 6 rebounds per game

Play of the Year: Chris Davenport’s slam-dunk against JU Feb. 6

Osprey of the Year: Stephen Putnam, the Osprey Pep Band’s baritone horn player who received national attention for his spastic moves at the men’s basketball Atlantic Sun Championship game.

*4/16/2015 at 6:04 p.m.- Updated with additional photos and video

For more information or news tips, contact [email protected]; if you see an error in this story or have any compliments or concerns, contact [email protected].