UNF women’s tennis stumbles in NCAA Tournament

The UNF women’s tennis team fell 4-0 to No.15 Miami in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Friday, May 8 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center in Coral Gables, Florida.

Osprey sophomore Quetzali Vazquez preparing for her opponent's serve.   Photo courtesy UNF Athletic Communications
Osprey sophomore Quetzali Vazquez preparing for her opponent’s serve.
Photo courtesy UNF Athletic Communications

Throughout the day, the Ospreys fought a tough battle against the Hurricanes in all matches. The Hurricanes clinched the doubles rounds after Monique Albuquerque and Silvia Fuentes defeated the UNF pair of psychology freshman Luise Intert and business management senior Rebeca Pereira in an 8-3 match.

During the singles matches, the Hurricanes won the first three to lock up the win overall. The Ospreys fought against four nationally ranked opponents on the court in the loss.

“Today was tough. We could have played better tennis, but we competed well,” said Head Coach Audra Cohen. “This team worked extremely hard and had an unbelievable amount of heart in getting to this point. Moving forward, I am excited for the future of the program and the addition of our recruiting class as well as the continued growth of our returning players.”

The Ospreys finished the season with a 17-4 overall record. In their journey to the NCAA Tournament, the Ospreys secured the Atlantic Sun Regular Season Championship and Atlantic Sun Tournament Championship.

For more information or news tips, contact [email protected]; if you see an error in this story, contact [email protected].