North Florida baseball cruises past Kennesaw in A-Sun Tournament

UNF took on Kennesaw State during the first day of the Atlantic Sun Championship Tournament in Fort Meyers, Florida.Photos courtesy asunphotos.com
UNF took on Kennesaw State during the first day of the Atlantic Sun Championship Tournament in Fort Meyers, Florida.
Photos courtesy asunphotos.com

The No. 1 seeded North Florida Ospreys dominated the No. 6 seeded Kennesaw State Owls, 14-0, in the opening game of the Atlantic Sun Conference Tournament at Swanson Stadium in Fort Myers, Florida. In the bottom of the first inning, the Ospreys scored three runs behind Ryan Roberson and Corbin Olmstead’s hitting.

The Ospreys put up at least two runs for the following three innings, while UNF pitcher Evan Incinelli held off any offensive advance by the Owls. In the bottom of the sixth inning Olmstead blasted a ball over the left field fence, scoring UNF catcher Keith Skinner and putting the Ospreys ahead of the Owls by 12 runs.

The Ospreys shut out the Owls with a 14-0 win and will move on to play their next opponent at 3 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.Photos courtesy asunphotos.com
The Ospreys shut out the Owls with a 14-0 win and will move on to play their next opponent at 3 p.m. Wednesday afternoon.
Photos courtesy asunphotos.com

In the bottom of the eighth frame UNF’s Garrick Ferguson drove in two more runs after a shot between second and third base, bringing the score to 14-0. Incinelli took the mound in the top of the ninth after allowing just four hits in the game thus far.

The Owls were once again unable to find a rallying point and went three up, three down after a ground out and back-to-back strikeouts. With 91 pitches in the book for today’s game, Incinelli took away his sixth win of the season. The Ospreys will advance to play the loser of the Jacksonville-Stetson game in the second round of the tournament on May 22 at 3 p.m. The game will be viewable via ESPN3.

For more information or news tips, contact [email protected]; if you see an error in this story, contact [email protected].