Men’s and Women’s Tennis Roster Call

Ronnesha Rodgers

The UNF men’s tennis team. Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics.

The Ospreys men’s tennis team finished off their 2016-17 season 14-7 overall record. As the start of the new season approach the Ospreys have added some new faces, along with some returning faces, to their roster. Here is a look at this season’s roster:

Men’s Tennis

Alberto De Meo

Year: Redshirt Junior

Hometown: Cervignano del Friuli, Italy

De Meo is a two-time ASUN Academic Honor Roll honoree. During his freshman season, De Meo was picked to be on the Atlantic Sun All-Freshman Team. He played in the No. 6 spot in all of the spring games.

Sahil Deshmukh

Year: Junior

Hometown: Pune, India

Last season, Deshmukh went 26-11 in singles play and 23-8 in doubles play. Alongside former Osprey Zach Goldberg, Deshmukh won the 2016 Georgia Southern Doubles Championship on Oct. 30.

Nilo Duarte

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Barcelona, Spain

Before coming to UNF, Duarte has represented both Spanish and Catalonian federations in tennis. He is a Catalonian tennis champion in both doubles and singles play under 18. Duarte has been ranked as high as No. 5 for players in Spain that are his age.

Joe Ellis

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Solihull, Great Britain

Before coming to UNF, Ellis gathered many accomplishments while in Europe. He is a three-time winner of the Winter County Cup. Ellis has also been ranked as high as 80 in his home country of Great Britain and in the top 75 in U16 Europe.

Jefta Kecic

Year: Senior

Hometown: Mokrin, Serbia

Last season, Kecic was chosen to be an ASUN First Team All-Conference honoree. He went 18-13 in singles play and 17-6 in doubles play. Alongside senior Lasse Muscheites, Kecic won the 2016 USF’s Bedford Doubles Championship on Sept. 23, 2016

Lasse Muscheites

Year: Senior

Hometown: Rastede, Germany

Last season, Muscheites earned A-SUN All Academic Team honors. With former Osprey Jack Findel-Hawkins, Muscheites was ranked at No. 14 in the NCAA Doubles ranking. In singles play he finished with a 21-12 record.

Till Von Winning

Year: Junior

Hometown:Schopfheim, Germany

Prior to UNF, Von Winning grabbed both the 2016 GLIAC Freshman of the Year and 2017 GLIAC Player of the Year awards. He was his team number one tennis player in singles matches and finished with a perfect 9-0 record in doubles.

The UNF women’s tennis team. Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics.

After winning their third straight ASUN Championship Title, the Ospreys women’s tennis team finished off their 2016-17 season 15-9 overall record. With the new season on its way the Ospreys created a roster with both new and returning players. Here is a look at this season’s roster:

Women’s Tennis

Kinga Gartner

Year:  Junior

Hometown: Pompano Beach, Fla.

Last season, Gartner had 12 consecutive set victories while going undefeated in No. 3 doubles position in ASUN play. She is 16-4 in overall doubles play and 14-9 in overall singles play. Gartner was also named to the ASUN All-Conference Second Team Doubles.

Rafaela Gomez

Year: Junior

Hometown: Guayaquil, Ecuador

Last season, Gomez had a team-best for singles wins with 23 wins and finished the season with 14 doubles wins. While playing in the No. 3 position Gomez went undefeated with a 4-0 record. She also grab a spot on the 2017 ASUN All-Conference First Team.

Luise Intert

Year: Senior

Hometown: Bad Segeberg, Germany

Last season, Intert had an overall 19-9 singles record to finish off her season. She also grabbed multiple honors last season including 2017 ASUN All-Academic honors and the 2017 ASUN All-Conference Second Team.

Irina Karangozishvili

Year: Senior

Hometown: Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia

Last season, Karangozishvili finish with a 19-10 singles record. Playing mostly in the No. 3 position in ASUN play, Karangozishvili had a 5-1 record in ASUN play. In doubles action, she had nine wins which were all earned in the No. 3 position.

Lucia Montaño

Year: Sophomore

Hometown: Santa Cruz, Bolivia

Last season as a freshman, Montaño played mostly in the doubles competition. When she did play in the singles competition she grabbed seven wins. Montaño was named to the 2017 ASUN All-Freshman Team.

Eva Nyikos

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Neusiedl Am See, Austria

Prior to UNF, Nyikos won the 2016 U18 Austrian Singles Championship. Before her 2016 championship, Nyikos also won the 2015 National’s Women’s Doubles Champion. She also had the opportunity to play in the European Youth Olympic Games.

Florencia Rossi

Year: Freshman

Hometown: Montevideo, Uruguay

Before coming to UNF, Rossi won three International Tennis Federation doubles tournaments while receiving a 265 ranking. She also won the Open Junior ITF Grade 4 competition and had victories in the Copa Cantegril Country Bowl.