The Jazz Faculty Scholarship Concert gives UNF students the chance to perform original work

Joslyn Simmons

Barry Greene. Photo by Joslyn Simmons

Even 30 years later, UNF’s jazz program is swinging and creating new sounds that capture its audience and won’t let go until the last note.

UNF students and faculty performed original compositions inspired by real-life experiences at the Jazz Faculty Scholarship Concert Oct. 5, which kicked off the 30th anniversary of the Great American Jazz Series.

Liston Gregory, a Jazz Studies senior with a focus in piano, composed two pieces for the opening performance.

“It’s amazing [to compose music],” Gregory said. “You get to, I guess you can say, invent your own reality with your music.”

Gregory has been in the series a handful of times and said he plans to pursue a career as a professional musician after college.

Eight arrangements and compositions were performed by the jazz faculty at the concert with pieces from Todd DelGiudice, Marc Dickman, Lynne Arriale, Dennis Marks, J.B. Scott, Barry Greene and Clarence Hines.

Scott, associate professor and artistic director of the Great American Jazz Studies, was pleased with the young talent displayed on the stage.

“[It was a] wonderful group directed by Lynne Arriale,” Scott said.“It’s neat to see the students writing music and writing their own arrangements.”

For him, one of the most important reasons for the faculty concert’s creation was to give students the opportunity to perform in front of the community.

Faculty paid homage to Rich Matteson, the founder of UNF’s jazz program with the final composition of Mikki’s Shuttle. Matteson will be celebrated throughout the entire series by various musicians.

This year’s performances will continue until April 19, 2018. The remaining dates for the 30th anniversary series as as follows, with tickets cost varying from free to $25 for select dates:

Oct. 25, Nov.16, Feb. 8, March 16, April 12 and 19

Scott is looking forward to the future growth of the series with the addition of incoming students and their music.