Student reactions to the new alcohol policy

DeAndre Pearson

The new alcohol policy change was announced over an Osprey Update.

It has been just over a week since the University announced new changes to the alcohol and drug policy. This was an issue that was forth-going in a response to previous alcohol-related incidents. Some of the new guidelines to the policy now prohibit alcohol from being consumed, sold or possessed at tailgating and structured events. The Panhellenic Council has also recently announced that they will make changes to adhere to the new policy.

Students themselves, however, seem to have mixed reviews of the new changes.

“I think it’s a good idea,” Business Management Major Michael Keller said. “I think that this will help keep everyone in check.”

Keller believes that this will put the University in a better direction going forward.

“I would have to advocate for the ban,” he added. “I think it would be more of a benefit than an issue.”

Others appear to still be making up their minds.

“I think it’s good and bad, ” Evan Standard, a Sports Management student said. “I think this is the way to go right now. However, if the students are still accessing this alcohol, they should just throw it off.”

As of right now only the Boathouse and authorized vendors can sell alcohol after verifying students. Time will only tell if the new changes help the student body and the University.