UNF Women’s Soccer suffers hard fought loss on Senior Night

Drew McDonald, Sports Editor

Photo courtesy of Khorri Newton

The Ospreys Women’s Soccer team (5-5-1, 0-2-1 ASUN) played hard defense on Sept. 28, but a lone penalty kick by NJIT (8-3-1 Overall, 2-1 ASUN) was enough for the Highlanders to pick up the win.

It was a stalemate for both sides on the attack as NJIT and UNF shot a combined ten shots on goal, but solid back lines kept their teams in the game.

Senior Mackenzie Meisler discussed what was key for limiting NJIT’s shots and opportunities to score.

“Communication and keeping our formation,” Meisler explained. “We worked really hard this week on making sure that we stay tight and talk the entire time through.”

In the first half, NJIT’s goalkeeper, Amelia Sapirman, recorded eight saves. Sophomore Thais Reiss led the Ospreys in shots on goal with five.

The Highlanders got on the board in the last minute of the first half on a penalty kick by Nicole Loehle, making it 1-0 NJIT.

The Ospreys continued to struggle, putting the ball in the net throughout the second half and recording six shots on goal, but no dice. Sapirman finished the match with 13 saves.

“I think that the attack did a great job getting around them. I think we just need to find that power behind the shot to really get it in, “ Meisler said.

UNF plays their last home game of the regular season on Sunday, Sept. 30 against Kennesaw State at 1 p.m.