Coming Out Week 2018

Sarah Bethea

Thursday, Oct. 11 is the 30th anniversary of National Coming Out Day. To celebrate, UNF’s LGBT Resource Center is hosting Coming Out Week from Oct. 8 through Oct. 12 with events, discussions and programs emphasizing the experiences of being LGBTQ+. Here is a list of all the activities you can take part in.

Courtesy of the UNF LGBT Resource Center.

Thursday, Oct. 4:

Chew on This: Coming Out

An Interfaith Center event, share a meal with three LGBTQ+ faith leaders and explore how texts from their religious or philosophical traditions speak to the experience of coming out. This event will be in Bldg. 2, Rm 1400 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.

Oct. 8 to Oct. 12:

Free Rapid HIV Testing

Stop by the LGBT Resource Center during Coming Out Week and receive free HIV testing, provided by JASMYN. No appointment is necessary and it is free. The dates and times are as follows:

• Oct. 8 to Oct. 11
    • 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., LGBT Resource Center, John A. Delaney Student Union, Bldg. 58E, Rm 1111
  • Oct. 12
    • 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., J. Brooks Brown Addition, Bldg. 39A, Rm 2100
    • 1 p.m. to 3 p.m., LGBT Resource Center, John A. Delaney Student Union, Bldg. 58E, Rm 1111

Monday, Oct. 8:

This is My Story: Featuring the case of the Coming Out Monologues Jacksonville

An evening of storytelling and a Q & A session with the cast of the Coming Out Monologues Jacksonville. At this event, you can also learn how to get involved in next year’s Coming Out Monologues performance. The event starts at 6 p.m. and goes till 8 p.m. at the John A. Delaney Student Union, Bldg. 58W, Rm 3703.

Tuesday, Oct. 9:

Let’s Talk About It: Being Black, Brown and LGBTQ+

Co-sponsored by the Department of Diversity Initiatives and the LGBT Resource Center, go to Founders Hall, Bldg. 2, Rm 2100 from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. and take part in the discussion on what it means to identify as both a person of color and LGBTQ+.

Wednesday, Oct. 10:

Coming Out Day Photo Booth & T-shirt Giveaway

Stop by the LGBT Resource Center booth during Market Days from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., to receive a t-shirt and take a photo at the photo booth. Market Days takes place in Osprey Plaza at the John A. Delaney Student Union.

Coming Out Day Group Photo

Also at Market Days, be a part of the Coming Out Day group photo at 12 p.m.

Faith, Race and LGBT: A Conversation with Rev. Dr. Jamie Washington

From 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Adam Herbert University Center, Reverend Jamie Washington will host a presentation and question and answer session about faith, race and LGBTQ+ communities. This event is sponsored by the LGBT Resource Center, the Interfaith Center and the LGBT Community Fund for Northeast Florida. The event is free, just be sure to RSVP here.

Thursday, Oct. 11:

Laugh Out Comedy Show featuring Sabrina Jalees

As part of the fourth annual Laugh OUT Comedy Show, Sabrina Jalees from Netflix’s “The Comedy Lineup” will be performing at the John A. Delaney Student Union, Bldg. 58W, Auditorium. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. and the show starts at 8 p.m. There will be a meet and greet immediately following the performance.

Friday, Oct. 12:

OUT to Lunch: Defining Identities

Free and open to all UNF students, faculty and staff only, bring your lunch to the LGBT Resource Center as they discuss the definition of identities. This even takes place from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m., John A. Delaney Student Union, Bldg. 58E, Rm 1111.