DeSantis appoints UNF instructor to Florida School for the Deaf and Blind BOT

Darvin Nelson, News Editor

Governor DeSantis has appointed UNF Deaf and Interpreter Education instructor June Ann LeFors to the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind (FSDB) Board of Trustees (BOT). 

“The opportunity to serve on the board is a distinct honor and privilege, and I look forward to providing not only the deaf/hard of hearing perspective but also contributing my perspective as a parent, educator, interpreter, translator and consultant,” LeFors said.

LeFors previously worked at the FSDB for a decade, enduring multiple roles. She functioned as a preschool teacher in the Early Learning Center, a parent advisor in the Parent Infant Program, and an ASL specialist and evaluator.

The FSDB functions under the leadership and direction of its BOT, which consists of seven members who are appointed by the state governor and confirmed by the Senate. One of its members is required to be a person who is blind/visually impaired, and one is required to be a person who is deaf/hard of hearing. Each member is also required to have been a Florida resident for at least 10 years and the term of office for each member is four years. 

“I was selected by the governor to fill the deaf/hard of hearing board role, previously held by Christopher Wagner who was also chair of the board for a number of years,” LeFors explained. “Owen McCaul has served in the blind/visually impaired role for a number of years and he is currently the chair of the board.” 

LeFors earned her bachelor’s degree in elementary education at Gallaudet University and got her master’s in deaf education from Lamar University. Besides working at UNF, LeFors also works as a freelance deaf interpreter and ASL translator in the northeast and central Florida areas. She is also a member of the Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Advisory Committee for the Florida Department of Health. 

Spinnaker asked LeFors what brings her joy in working.

“I aim to contribute to the growing number of organizations generating awareness about and educating the public of the importance of giving all children – deaf/hard of hearing, blind/visually impaired and deafblind – full access to language.”

She says in her years of working in the education field, it brings her much satisfaction to see a deaf/hard of hearing child acquire language at a very young age. 

LeFors went on to explain how, according to the Modern Language Association’s 2016 study of US colleges and universities, American Sign Language is the third most-studied language — outnumbered only by Spanish and French. She believes that this means that when a Deaf child starts understanding ASL and using it to learn and engage in meaningful discourse from a young age, that child is set for life success. 

“That’s what brings me the utmost joy,” Lefors said.

Established in 1885, the FSDB is an accredited state public school available at no cost to eligible pre-K and K-12 students residing in Florida who are deaf/hard of hearing, blind/visually impaired or deafblind. Nationally recognized for its specialized educational programs, services and advanced technologies, the FSDB serves a little over 1,000 students each year. 

“Drawing on my background and experience working with deaf/hard of hearing students at FSDB – they benefit from direct instruction in ASL and they are able to interact directly with peers like themselves and benefit from adult role models, which in turn creates rich opportunities for academic achievement/success.”

LeFors says deaf/hard of hearing students search to understand and appreciate their Deaf identity, and create lifelong friends who eventually become their family. 

“Students at FSDB who are blind or deafblind have parallel benefits and experiences. FSDB is indeed the only school of its kind in Florida and I personally think every child – deaf, blind, or deafblind – should have at least an opportunity to visit and experience FSDB,” LeFors stated.

__

2 Comments

2 Responses to “DeSantis appoints UNF instructor to Florida School for the Deaf and Blind BOT”

1. Sam Damiano on October 21st, 2020 11:59 am

It is a must-stop ASL deprivation for all innocent Deaf and DeafBlind babies. Their eyes are listening. Their hands are their voices. Parents are responsible to learn ASL to communicate with them today. Do not make any excuses. ASL is their education and human rights. It is their Sign of Freedom. #aslfirst

2. Teresa. Jean. (Ezell) stroebel. But. E.x Howell on October 21st, 2020 3:09 pm

Hello. I got fromdeaf people told me. About fsdb Voc building. For Ed like. Sewing and cut hair and fix hair. Camera . Newspaper, and cooking. … types or cashier hobby like mow and junk car .. is gone .. if student need to learn about cooking and sewing or knitting Yeah. I am not see longtime ago. As my senior half picture. … I lost picture please send me again one of picture let me know. My email is [email protected]

• Photo by Rachel Park on Unsplash

Weekly food bargains in Jacksonville

• This combination of images shows  Lil Wayne performing during Hot 97

AP: Lil Wayne, Kodak Black get clemency; Joe Exotic does not

• Starter job ideas for students

Starter job ideas for students

• Courtesy UNF

Free facilitated growth program for veteran business owners

• Stress management tips

Stress management tips

• Kamala Harris is sworn in as vice president by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor as her husband Doug Emhoff holds the Bible during the 59th Presidential Inauguration at the U.S. Capitol in Washington, Wednesday, Jan. 20, 2021.(Saul Loeb/Pool Photo via AP)

Election Coverage

AP: Vice President Harris: A new chapter opens in US politics

• Photo by Daria Shevtsova via Pexels

Unique spots in Jacksonville that offer free Wi-Fi

• Understanding the COVID-College experience: Does it vary based on state?

Understanding the COVID-College experience: Does it vary based on state?

• Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash

Top 10 anticipated video games of 2021

• Courtesy of Disney Platform Distribution

“WandaVision” episodes one & two review