DeSantis appoints UNF instructor to Florida School for the Deaf and Blind BOT

Darvin Nelson, News Editor

Governor DeSantis has appointed UNF Deaf and Interpreter Education instructor June Ann LeFors to the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind (FSDB) Board of Trustees (BOT). 

“The opportunity to serve on the board is a distinct honor and privilege, and I look forward to providing not only the deaf/hard of hearing perspective but also contributing my perspective as a parent, educator, interpreter, translator and consultant,” LeFors said.

LeFors previously worked at the FSDB for a decade, enduring multiple roles. She functioned as a preschool teacher in the Early Learning Center, a parent advisor in the Parent Infant Program, and an ASL specialist and evaluator.

The FSDB functions under the leadership and direction of its BOT, which consists of seven members who are appointed by the state governor and confirmed by the Senate. One of its members is required to be a person who is blind/visually impaired, and one is required to be a person who is deaf/hard of hearing. Each member is also required to have been a Florida resident for at least 10 years and the term of office for each member is four years. 

“I was selected by the governor to fill the deaf/hard of hearing board role, previously held by Christopher Wagner who was also chair of the board for a number of years,” LeFors explained. “Owen McCaul has served in the blind/visually impaired role for a number of years and he is currently the chair of the board.” 

LeFors earned her bachelor’s degree in elementary education at Gallaudet University and got her master’s in deaf education from Lamar University. Besides working at UNF, LeFors also works as a freelance deaf interpreter and ASL translator in the northeast and central Florida areas. She is also a member of the Early Hearing Detection and Intervention Advisory Committee for the Florida Department of Health. 

Spinnaker asked LeFors what brings her joy in working.

“I aim to contribute to the growing number of organizations generating awareness about and educating the public of the importance of giving all children – deaf/hard of hearing, blind/visually impaired and deafblind – full access to language.”

She says in her years of working in the education field, it brings her much satisfaction to see a deaf/hard of hearing child acquire language at a very young age. 

LeFors went on to explain how, according to the Modern Language Association’s 2016 study of US colleges and universities, American Sign Language is the third most-studied language — outnumbered only by Spanish and French. She believes that this means that when a Deaf child starts understanding ASL and using it to learn and engage in meaningful discourse from a young age, that child is set for life success. 

“That’s what brings me the utmost joy,” Lefors said.

Established in 1885, the FSDB is an accredited state public school available at no cost to eligible pre-K and K-12 students residing in Florida who are deaf/hard of hearing, blind/visually impaired or deafblind. Nationally recognized for its specialized educational programs, services and advanced technologies, the FSDB serves a little over 1,000 students each year. 

“Drawing on my background and experience working with deaf/hard of hearing students at FSDB – they benefit from direct instruction in ASL and they are able to interact directly with peers like themselves and benefit from adult role models, which in turn creates rich opportunities for academic achievement/success.”

LeFors says deaf/hard of hearing students search to understand and appreciate their Deaf identity, and create lifelong friends who eventually become their family. 

“Students at FSDB who are blind or deafblind have parallel benefits and experiences. FSDB is indeed the only school of its kind in Florida and I personally think every child – deaf, blind, or deafblind – should have at least an opportunity to visit and experience FSDB,” LeFors stated.

__

• Members of the Student Fee Assessment Committee deliberate where a $0.43 fee allocation would come from.

General

SG committee members swing for the fences with fee proposal, Administration committee members expect rejection

• University of North Florida COVID-19 cases between Sep. 1, 2021 and Dec. 2, 2021, as reported by the UNF Student Health Center, accessible on the UNF Emergency Management site.

UNF’s fate in the face of Omicron uncertain

• Members of the Student Fees Assessment Committee discuss a proposal during their meeting on Dec. 2, 2021.

General

Committee to finalize student fees proposal Wednesday

• A visitor to the Shougang Park walks past the logos for the Beijing Winter Olympics and Paralympics in Beijing, China, Tuesday, Nov. 9, 2021. China on Monday, Dec. 6, 2021 threatened to take firm countermeasures if the U.S. proceeds with a diplomatic boycott of Februarys Beijing Winter Olympic Games. (AP Photo/Ng Han Guan)

General

AP: US plans diplomatic boycott of Beijing Winter Olympics

• Jacksonville special election happening Tuesday: Candidates and voting locations

Election Coverage

Jacksonville special election happening Tuesday: Candidates and voting locations

• The sky glows a gorgeous rosy red as the sun disappears over the horizon of the Thomas G. Carpenter Library parking lot.

General

Parking tickets turn digital at UNF

• Photo courtesy of The Game Awards.

The Game Awards 2021: How to watch & what to expect

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Hawkeye’ episode 3, a spoiler review

• Shekinah Mitchell’s mural ‘We Are All One’ hangs on the wall in the Intercultural Center’s lounge.

‘We Are All One’ mural on display in UNF’s Intercultural Center

• UNF lifts water advisory

General

UNF lifts water advisory

2

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

• T

Teresa. Jean. (Ezell) stroebel. But. E.x HowellOct 21, 2020 at 3:09 pm

Hello. I got fromdeaf people told me. About fsdb Voc building. For Ed like. Sewing and cut hair and fix hair. Camera . Newspaper, and cooking. … types or cashier hobby like mow and junk car .. is gone .. if student need to learn about cooking and sewing or knitting Yeah. I am not see longtime ago. As my senior half picture. … I lost picture please send me again one of picture let me know. My email is [email protected]

• S

Sam DamianoOct 21, 2020 at 11:59 am

It is a must-stop ASL deprivation for all innocent Deaf and DeafBlind babies. Their eyes are listening. Their hands are their voices. Parents are responsible to learn ASL to communicate with them today. Do not make any excuses. ASL is their education and human rights. It is their Sign of Freedom. #aslfirst