The O.C.: Why businesses can deny cash

Aloe Suarez, Features Reporter

This past weekend, a friend and I went to a museum with spacious gardens and gorgeous architecture. Yet when I went to pay at the ticket stand, I couldn’t pay because they don’t accept cash.

I won’t tell you how embarrassing that was, but let me tell you how any business can deny paper bills.

Towards the beginning of the pandemic, health sciences noted that coronavirus could spread through contact with surfaces, so businesses began denying cash which drew some attention. 

We’ll start by addressing what cash is— and it is, by definition, “ready money” and “money or its equivalent (such as a check) paid for goods or services at the time of purchase or delivery,” according to the Merriam Webster dictionary. 

But Investopedia gives a better definition by defining cash as “legal tender—currency or coins—that can be used to exchange goods, debt, or services.”

Legal tender is a key to explain why it is denied because legal is not the same as lawful— cash is valid but not required.

Even in the US Code, Section 31 states that “United States coins and currency are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues.”

According to the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System, there are no federal mandates for businesses to accept legal tender as a form of payment. 

In other words, a company can say that they only allow bartering and not cash. A company can also say they only accept biscuits as payment and not cash. And it is by this that stores can say they don’t accept large or small denominations. 

The bottom line is it’s not against the law for businesses to deny cash. Cash and coins are negotiable in terms of acceptance for payment. And please make sure that there’s enough money in the bank to swipe your card.

If you have any money questions you need a money answer to, send us a message, and we’ll cover it. 

___

• Graphic by Majdouline Bakor.

FEATURED

2022-2023 FAFSA updates and changes: What’s new?

• Photo courtesy of cottonbro via Pexels

Simple money-saving hacks you need to try

• Photo by Imelda on Unsplash.

What causes hyperinflation?

• Photo courtesy of Pixabay via Pexels

Tips for building credit and avoiding debt

• Photo by Tabea Damm on Unsplash.

FEATURED

How to save money on travel

• Image courtesy of Alesia Kozik via Pexels

Business

Investing 101 for beginners

• Photo by Markus Winkler on Unsplash.

Business

Market surges resulting from unlikeliest of sources

• Courtesy UNF

Free facilitated growth program for veteran business owners

• Image courtesy of rupixen.

A guide to student discounts

• The future of banking: How the pandemic has led to a rise in cashless banking

The future of banking: How the pandemic has led to a rise in cashless banking

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.