Election Update: Where do things stand?

Nathan Turoff, Student Government Reporter

It’s the day after the election, and there appears to be no clear winner. As of writing, neither candidate has reached the 270-electoral threshold to win the presidency. Overall, Joe Biden is ahead with 224 electoral votes, with Donald Trump just behind with 213. About 86% of the estimated votes have been counted, according to NBC News. 

The reason for the delay is several close races in several swing states, including, but not limited to, Arizona, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Michigan, and Wisconsin. 101 electoral votes are still up for grabs, and these swing states hold the votes. Most of these swing states are too close to call at the moment, despite the fact that over ninety percent of the votes have been counted in some of them. 

One interesting thing is that Trump won Florida, much sooner than some people had anticipated, and by an even higher margin than he did in 2016. Florida has often been seen as the poster child of tricky swing states, with its large number of electoral votes and diverse voting bloc. Florida is infamous for its role in the controversial 2000 election and subsequent voting issues. However, Trump managed to land a solid win in the Sunshine State, much earlier than any of the other traditional swing states.

The results of the election are not expected to be finalized for several days, as the COVID-19 pandemic has led to a large increase in mail-in votes, which are still being counted in many states. Spinnaker will continue to give updates as results come in.

__

• Photo by Martin Sanchez via Unsplash.

UNF reports 178 cases last week

• The cast of Hamlet receives applause from the audience after their performance at MOCA Jacksonville.

A closer look at UNF Shakespeare’s Hamlet

• Meet the Candidates. Graphic by Carter Mudgett.

Meet the candidates: Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer interviews to begin

• Shot of an Osprey sports uniform sleeve.

Shorthanded Ospreys squad gives Florida State everything they can handle

• Lufrano Gallery installation created by Camryn Media. Photo by Carter Mudgett.

The Lufrano Intercultural Gallery’s new exhibit opens for students and faculty to view

• Of 336 votes, 60% of the respondents say UNF should keep classes in-person.

UNF students grapple with whether to return in-person

• Interim President Chally rejects student fees proposal, current student fees remain same

Interim President Chally rejects student fees proposal, current student fees remain same

• Courtesy of ABC

The Bachelor: Episodes 1 and 2 Recap

• Victoria Shore, Headshot courtesy of Student Government

Advisor Shore retires after 11 years at UNF

• Photo by Justin Nedrow

Strong second quarter propels Ospreys WBB past Kennesaw State

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.