Ospreys fall to EKU in MBB season opener

Riley Platt, Sports Writer

After an offseason that saw the addition of many fresh faces, the Osprey men’s basketball team took to the court in Raleigh, North Carolina to begin their 2020-2021 season. UNF faced Eastern Kentucky in the first of two games that the Ospreys will play in the Mako Medical Wolfpack Invitational, a multi-team event hosted by NC State.

One of the biggest concerns surrounding the Ospreys coming into this season is experience. After losing four starters from last year’s team, it’s clear that head coach Matthew Driscoll will need his guys to step up to the task at hand. Conversely, Eastern Kentucky is a team that returns a majority of last season’s group.

UNF didn’t waste any time, jumping out to an early 8-0 lead. The EKU Colonels would bounce back, tying things up. Following this, the trend of large momentum swings would continue, with the Ospreys extending the lead to nine points. This wouldn’t last long, as EKU stormed back to take their first lead of the game about halfway through the first half. 

The Colonels continued to surge, jumping out to a 31-21 lead 13 minutes into the game. While three point shooting was an early strength for the Ospreys, turnovers were something that plagued the team. After a back and forth first half, the Ospreys trailed 46-33 at the break. 

Carter Hendricksen led the Ospreys in scoring with a 20 point performance, but it was enough as UNF would lose the game to EKU 67-80 (Darvin Nelson)

Junior forward Carter Hendricksen got things going to start the second half, scoring UNF’s first eight points after the break. Unfortunately, the Ospreys couldn’t put a stop to the EKU offensive attack. UNF made one last run late, but it wouldn’t be enough, with the Colonels prevailing 80-67. 

While the result wasn’t what Osprey fans wanted, there were bright spots with this team throughout the game. UMBC transfer guard Jose Placer had a strong UNF debut after sitting out last season due to NCAA requirements. Carter Hendricksen also posted a solid 20 point performance, something this team will need from their new leader. 

The Ospreys will face NC State on Friday at 5:30 p.m. For Florida residents, the game can be seen on FOX Sports Sun.

__

• Entertainment

‘Hawkeye’ episode 3, a spoiler review

• Shekinah Mitchell’s mural ‘We Are All One’ hangs on the wall in the Intercultural Center’s lounge.

‘We Are One’ mural on display in UNF’s Intercultural Center

• UNF lifts water advisory

General

UNF lifts water advisory

• A Holiday themed display case in the Bookstore.

Top UNF gifts this holiday season

• Photo by Camille Shaw

General

UNF student hit by vehicle while crossing street

• Text box that reads Letter to the Editor. Graphic by Lianna Norman.

General

Letter to the Editor: Open early voting sites at our local colleges

• Banners and flags adorn the University of North Florida John A. Delaney Student Union during the 2021 World Fest Village Market Day.

How to prepare for life after college

• A black cat is seen hiding behind students bikes, photo by Nathan Turoff

Critter Column

Housing responds to feral cats at Osprey Fountains

• A square portion of the sidewalk in front of the Gandhi statue in the middle of UNF’s campus is cordoned off by UPD barricades. On the evening of Nov. 28, students, faculty, and staff were notified that water in certain areas of the campus was no longer potable for the time being.

General

UNF core campus water remains undrinkable, Chick-fil-A reopens

• Mural of a person holding books.

UNF Library introduces ‘Stress Management’ online resource display

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.