Gov. Desantis’ new “Anti-mob” bill

Nathan Turoff, Student Government Reporter

A few weeks ago, Florida Governor Ron Desantis proposed a change to the state’s controversial “Stand Your Ground” law as part of his “anti-mob” legislation in response to the civil unrest following acts of police brutality. Spinnaker spoke with local First Amendment Attorney Edward Birk about this proposed legislation.

Governor Ron Desantis, photo by POLITICO / Joe Raedle.

Birk explained how the governor is pandering to his base with this bill. If there is reform, it needs to be on a larger scale.

Plenty of laws already provide punishments for violent protestors. The right to peacefully assemble is already covered under the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

“The proposed legislation would intimidate people and it would discourage dissent, Birk said.”

The issue is where we draw the line. In the past few years, there has been a rising sentiment by the general public that police provoke violence. This legislation creates a situation where police are immune if they act unlawfully. There is a growing movement to reform the policing system, so that situations can be de-escalated more often than not. 

“This legislation creates a situation where police would be immune if they acted unlawfully,” Birk mentioned.

Birk compared this legislation to the extreme sentences imposed by the war on drugs, and would lead to more people in jail.

Police in riot gear in Oakland, California. Photo by TIME / Josh Edelson.

Birk also explained how the legislation had not been filed yet, and it would certainly initiate some debate in the state legislature. Because of this, the future of this bill is dependent on the makeup of the state legislature when it is filed. 

“If this were the final product, I’d be on my way to the Supreme Court,” joked Birk.

As of right now, it is only just a proposal. Spinnaker will follow this story as it develops.

__

• Updated: UNF releases urgent alert of arson on campus

Updated: UNF releases urgent alert of arson on campus

• Photo by Ramiro Martinez via Unsplash

Longest partial lunar eclipse of the century to happen tonight

• Covid-19 (SARS-CoV-2) vaccine booster dose. Photo by Parang Mehta/Unsplash.

COVID-19 booster shots and what to know

• A tomb guard of the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment, known as The Old Guard, stands during a centennial commemoration event at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, in Arlington National Cemetery, Wednesday, Nov. 10, 2021, in Arlington, Va. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon, Pool)

AP: Biden salutes troops as ‘spine of America’ on Veterans Day

• “A small-town mayor”: students give their thoughts on their ideal UNF president

“A small-town mayor”: students give their thoughts on their ideal UNF president

• SDS releases list of demands, UNF responds

SDS releases list of demands, UNF responds

• Student Union. Photo credit Jonathan Merin.

UNF Presidential Search Committee hosting student open forum Wednesday

• Student Government graphic.

Student Government swears in 17 new senators

• Delegates gather inside the venue on another day at the COP26 U.N. Climate Summit in Glasgow, Scotland, Wednesday, Nov. 3, 2021. The U.N. climate summit in Glasgow gathers leaders from around the world, in Scotlands biggest city, to lay out their vision for addressing the common challenge of global warming. (AP Photo/Alberto Pezzali)

Warmer seasons to come, UNF professor explains

• In this Aug. 25, 2020, file photo, Kyle Rittenhouse carries a weapon as he walks along Sheridan Road in Kenosha, Wis., during a night of unrest following the weekend police shooting of Jacob Blake. Rittenhouse is white. So were the three men he shot during street protests in Kenosha in 2020. But for many people, Rittenhouses trial will be watched closely as the latest referendum on race and the American judicial system. (Adam Rogan/The Journal Times via AP, File)

Prosecutor says Rittenhouse instigated Kenosha bloodshed

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.