Hanukkah begins tonight

Nathan Turoff, Student Government Reporter

Today marks the first day of the Jewish Festival of Hanukkah. Hanukkah is often viewed as the Jewish equivalent to Christmas, as they occur near the same time and involve a similar gift exchange. However, they are very different holidays.

Blue Menorah (Catalina_Lopera), Image from iStock.

Christmas, if Christmas Eve is not counted, is a single day holiday on the twenty-fifth of December celebrating the Birth of Jesus Christ in Bethlehem. It is often seen as the most important Christian holiday after Holy Week, which includes Easter and Good Friday. While the customs and traditions associated with Christmas can vary with nation, culture, and religious affiliation, the day itself is what never changes. Christmas is arguably the most celebrated holiday in the world. 

Hanukkah is arguably the most iconic Jewish holiday in popular culture. However, the holiday itself is actually very religiously minor for the Jewish people. Unlike Christmas, Hanukkah is celebrated over the course of eight days and nights. It is also fluid in terms of date, because the Hebrew Calendar is different from the modern calendar we use today. It can fall later than Christmas and as early as November. 

Model of the Second Temple in Jerusalem, photo by Picfair.

Hanukkah celebrates the rededication of the Second Temple in Jerusalem. According to the Talmud, after the reclaiming of the temple, the temple’s menorah was to be lit all night, every night. However, only one days worth of oil was found. The oil ended up burning for eight days, just enough time for them to obtain more oil. This was viewed as a miracle, and an eight-day festival was held, which would become Hanukkah.

The centerpiece of the holiday is the nine stick candelabra called a menorah. The ninth and middlemost candle is elevated above the rest, and is used to light an additional candle every night until the festival is over. Other traditions during the holiday include playing with dreidels, eating oily foods and eating dairy.

Photo by People Magazine.

__

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Spider-Man: No Way Home’ spoiler free review

• What is staying open at UNF over winter break?

What is staying open at UNF over winter break?

• Graphic by Majdouline Bakor.

Twitch Streaming: Handling hate raids and DDoS attacks

• Photo courtesy of Amazon.

“A Man Named Scott” movie review

• Courtesy of Marvel Studios.

‘Hawkeye’ episode 3, a spoiler review

• Shekinah Mitchell’s mural ‘We Are All One’ hangs on the wall in the Intercultural Center’s lounge.

‘We Are All One’ mural on display in UNF’s Intercultural Center

• A Holiday themed display case in the Bookstore.

Top UNF gifts this holiday season

• Banners and flags adorn the University of North Florida John A. Delaney Student Union during the 2021 World Fest Village Market Day.

How to prepare for life after college

• A black cat is seen hiding behind students bikes, photo by Nathan Turoff

Critter Column

Housing responds to feral cats at Osprey Fountains

• Mural of a person holding books.

UNF Library introduces ‘Stress Management’ online resource display

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.