Top three COVID-19 areas in Duval

Nathan Turoff, Student Government Reporter

Duval County, which includes UNF, is one of the most populous counties in Florida. As such, one would assume that they would have a high number of COVID-19 infections, and that would be correct. But where specifically in the county have been particular hotspots?

As of writing, Duval County has the sixth highest number of COVID cases out of all the counties of Florida. It isn’t even close, with the next runner up, that being Pinellas County, has over ten thousand less cases, despite having a slightly larger population.

According to data from the Florida Department of Health, there are 3 particular areas that have been hotspots of COVID activity. It’s important to note that this analysis was done via zip code, and not all zip code areas are the same size and population.

Screenshot taken from Google Maps.

The highest number of COVID-19 cases in Duval County is the zone north of the main city and the St. Johns River, zip code 32218. It encompasses the area south of Four Creeks State Forest, and includes Oceanway and the Jacksonville Zoo. It is not surprising that this area has the highest number of COVID cases, as it also contains JAX airport, which would see COVID spread via travel.

Screenshot taken from Google Maps.

The second highest hotspot would be further south, the stretch of area that is west of the St. Johns River, east of State Road 23, zip code 32210. It is south of Interstate 10, north of Jacksonville Heights, and encompasses a portion of Interstate 295

Screenshot taken from Google Maps.

Alarmingly, the third largest hotspot, while not UNF itself, is actually right next to UNF, surrounding it on the north and west sides, at zip code 32246. This area includes the St. Johns Town Center, as seen on the map.

It will be interesting to see how these hotspots develop as UNF students leave for winter break, and as the new vaccine is released. Spinnaker will follow this story as it develops.

___

• The Tabacinic Campus for Jewish Life at UNF is located a short mile drive from the core UNF campus.

Fighting hate and antisemitsm, Holocaust museum travels to UNF next week

• Student union banner

Kick off 2023 with UNF’s event-packed week

• (Priscilla Du Preez/Unsplash)

Thanksgiving: The importance of gratitude

• Entrance to Neckles’ Bless This House gallery at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Jacksonville.

MOCA artist Shervone Neckles shares the creative process behind her thought-provoking artwork

• Photo courtesy of Osprey Robotics

Club Spotlight: Osprey Robotics

• A rainbow flag waves at the starting line of a Pride Observance Month 5K run at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia, June 21, 2019. The rainbow flag is displayed at lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer or questioning events worldwide as a symbol for diversity in the LGBTQ community. (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Monica Roybal)

‘Perseverance and solidarity’: UNF Pride Club members discuss the history of Pride

• Oktoberfest information

Ozzie Oktoberfest: The 5 W’s to know

• The video game posters, featuring posters for Nintendo’s Metroid Dread and The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild, the former of which is one of “100’s” of new additions to their inventory, according to the sale

UNF poster sale this week

• A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

• Interior of the Ogier Garden’s greenhouse.

Nothing beets the Ogier Garden’s hidden gems