Top three COVID-19 areas in Duval

Nathan Turoff, Student Government Reporter

Duval County, which includes UNF, is one of the most populous counties in Florida. As such, one would assume that they would have a high number of COVID-19 infections, and that would be correct. But where specifically in the county have been particular hotspots?

As of writing, Duval County has the sixth highest number of COVID cases out of all the counties of Florida. It isn’t even close, with the next runner up, that being Pinellas County, has over ten thousand less cases, despite having a slightly larger population.

According to data from the Florida Department of Health, there are 3 particular areas that have been hotspots of COVID activity. It’s important to note that this analysis was done via zip code, and not all zip code areas are the same size and population.

Screenshot taken from Google Maps.

The highest number of COVID-19 cases in Duval County is the zone north of the main city and the St. Johns River, zip code 32218. It encompasses the area south of Four Creeks State Forest, and includes Oceanway and the Jacksonville Zoo. It is not surprising that this area has the highest number of COVID cases, as it also contains JAX airport, which would see COVID spread via travel.

Screenshot taken from Google Maps.

The second highest hotspot would be further south, the stretch of area that is west of the St. Johns River, east of State Road 23, zip code 32210. It is south of Interstate 10, north of Jacksonville Heights, and encompasses a portion of Interstate 295

Screenshot taken from Google Maps.

Alarmingly, the third largest hotspot, while not UNF itself, is actually right next to UNF, surrounding it on the north and west sides, at zip code 32246. This area includes the St. Johns Town Center, as seen on the map.

It will be interesting to see how these hotspots develop as UNF students leave for winter break, and as the new vaccine is released. Spinnaker will follow this story as it develops.

___

• Banners and flags adorn the University of North Florida John A. Delaney Student Union during the 2021 World Fest Village Market Day.

How to prepare for life after college

• The former Arena Walkway after the collision, with the road temporarily blocked off
Photo by Mark Judson

Will UNF ever see a return of the Arena Walkway?

• Community Potluck at Ogier Gardens

Community Potluck at Ogier Gardens

• SDS holds Black Lives Matter Rally on Campus

SDS holds Black Lives Matter Rally on Campus

• Graphic by Majdouline Bakor

Ogier Gardens & Farmers Markets Around JAX

• Inside Osprey Life and Productions

Inside Osprey Life and Productions

• Student Government graphic.

Student Government passes a trio of bills ahead of ‘Rally in Tally’

• Photo by Camille Shaw.

Is UNF dining understaffed?

• The Thomas G. Carpenter library.  Photo by Colin McCann

UNF library celebrates Banned Books week

• The Search for Sgt. Quackers

The Search for Sgt. Quackers

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.