Tropical Storm Elsa’s projected impacts and expectations

Carter Mudgett, Student Government Reporter

Wreaking havoc throughout Haiti and the Dominican Republic this weekend, Tropical Storm Elsa is expected to pass by Key West, Florida late Monday and make landfall near Tampa. 

The National Hurricane Center (NHC) has labeled Elsa as a tropical storm at 11 a.m. Sunday, the storm has already claimed three lives according to the Miami Herald.

Image via NHC website.

Elsa is expected to stay as a tropical storm and reach west of Jacksonville on Tuesday night. If the storm remains on the course reported by the NHC, it will pass into Georgia by Tuesday at midnight. 

The NHC warns that “Tropical Storm and Surge Storm Watches are in effect for portions of the west coast of the Florida peninsula where tropical storm conditions and a dangerous storm surge are possible beginning as early as Monday night and continuing into Tuesday.”

Watches and Warnings in Effect

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for…

• The Cuban provinces of Camagüey, Granma, Guantanamo, Holguin, Las Tunas, Santiago de Cuba, Ciego de Ávila, Sancti Spíritus, Villa Clara, Cienfuegos, Matanzas, Mayabeque, and Havana
  • Jamaica
  • The Florida Keys from Craig Key westward to the Dry Tortugas

A Hurricane Watch is in effect for –

• The Cuban provinces of Camagüey, Granma, Guantanamo, Holguin, Las Tunas, and Santiago de Cuba

A Storm Surge Watch is in effect for –

• West coast of Florida from Bonita Beach to the Suwannee River

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for –

• Cayman Brac and Little Cayman
  • The Cuban province of Artemisa
  • The Florida Keys from east of Craig Key to Ocean Reef
  • Florida Bay
  • West coast of Florida from Flamingo northward to the Anclote River

More information can be found here.

________

• The Tabacinic Campus for Jewish Life at UNF is located a short mile drive from the core UNF campus.

Fighting hate and antisemitsm, Holocaust museum travels to UNF next week

• Student union banner

Kick off 2023 with UNF’s event-packed week

• (Priscilla Du Preez/Unsplash)

Thanksgiving: The importance of gratitude

• Entrance to Neckles’ Bless This House gallery at the Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA) in Jacksonville.

MOCA artist Shervone Neckles shares the creative process behind her thought-provoking artwork

• Photo courtesy of Osprey Robotics

Club Spotlight: Osprey Robotics

• A rainbow flag waves at the starting line of a Pride Observance Month 5K run at Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia, June 21, 2019. The rainbow flag is displayed at lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer or questioning events worldwide as a symbol for diversity in the LGBTQ community. (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Monica Roybal)

‘Perseverance and solidarity’: UNF Pride Club members discuss the history of Pride

• Oktoberfest information

Ozzie Oktoberfest: The 5 W’s to know

• The video game posters, featuring posters for Nintendo’s Metroid Dread and The Legend of Zelda: The Breath of the Wild, the former of which is one of “100’s” of new additions to their inventory, according to the sale

UNF poster sale this week

• A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

A local’s guide to thrifting in Jacksonville

• Interior of the Ogier Garden’s greenhouse.

Nothing beets the Ogier Garden’s hidden gems