UNF’s procedures for tropical storms and hurricanes

Shelby Senesac, News Editor

With hurricane season rushing in, UNF continues to work to keep students, faculty, and staff well-informed, prepared, and safe when it comes to severe weather striking the First Coast.

The UNF Emergency Management Teams work closely with the National Weather Service to monitor and react appropriately in the event of a tropical system approaching the area.

In the event of a hurricane or tropical storm drawing near the First Coast, University officials will communicate with students, faculty, and staff through multiple outlets, including email, voice message, text, social media, and the Safe Ospreys app.

Listed below are weather terms provided by the University.

Tropical Storm: An organized system of strong thunderstorms with a defined circulation and maximum sustained winds of 39 to 73 mph.

Hurricane: An intense tropical weather system with a well-defined circulation and maximum sustained winds of 74 mph or higher.

•   Category 1: 74-95 mph winds
  •   Category 2: 96-110 mph winds
  •   Category 3: 111-130 mph winds
  •   Category 4: 131-155 mph winds
  •   Category 5: greater than 156 mph winds

Storm preparation tips for students as well as faculty/staff are available through UNF’s Emergency Management site.

________

• The University of North Floridas prior president headshots are shown on the left next to president-elect Dr. Moez Limayem on the right.

Dr. Moez Limayem chosen as UNF president-elect, awaiting BOG confirmation

• UNF Sculpture Program to bring potatoes to Germany

UNF Sculpture Program to bring potatoes to Germany

• Los Angeles Angels Shohei Ohtani is greeted in the dugout after he hit a solo home run during the first inning of a baseball game against the Seattle Mariners, Sunday, Oct. 3, 2021, in Seattle. Ohtani, the Los Angeles Angels’ two-way superstar, is the winner of The Associated Press’ Male Athlete of the Year award.

Baseball

The long-awaited 2022 MLB season is finally here; everything you need to know for Opening Day

• Text asks Do you . . . and gives a range of blue tones stretched out between Disagree? and Agree?

General

Ignore “Viewpoint Discrimination” survey, Florida faculty union says

• Harriet and Ozzie embrace each other, photo courtesy of UNF Digital Commons

FEATURED

Investigating the disappearance of Harriet the Osprey

• With a transgender flag atop their shoulders, this UNF student participates in a protest speaking out against anti-LGBTQ legislation

General

Florida Senate’s passing of the “Don’t Say Gay” bill is “bigoted and misguided,” UNF LGBTQ Center director says

• Sister Cindy preaches to a crowd of students on the University of North Florida Green Valentine’s Day afternoon in Jacksonville, Florida, Monday, Feb. 14.

Gallery

“Hoes” and “whores”: Sister Cindy preaches to UNF students

• Photo by Gerry Broome, AP Images.

Football

UNF community reacts to NFL legend Tom Brady’s retirement

• A poster with the message “Justice 4 All Love. Vote Hate Out of Offices” is held up during a Black Lives Matter protest.

General

Parental Rights in Education bill will “hurt a very vulnerable community,” UNF LGBT Center director says

• Supreme Court Associate Justice Stephen Breyer testifies before a House Committee on Appropriations Subcommittee on Financial Services hearing to review the FY 2016 budget request of the Supreme Court of the United States, on Capitol Hill in Washington, March 23, 2015. Breyer is retiring, giving President Joe Biden an opening he has pledged to fill by naming the first Black woman to the high court, two sources told The Associated Press Wednesday, Jan. 26, 2022. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta, File)

General

AP: Justice Breyer to retire; Biden to fill vacancy

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

Your email address will not be published.