Professors could provide free scantrons

It may be simpler for professors to provide scantrons. Photo by Randy Rataj.

Students won’t need to worry about bringing scantrons to class if Student Government’s newest scantron initiative is approved.

SG is trying to get funding through Academic Affairs for professors to distribute scantrons in the classrooms beginning summer 2014.

Student Body President Carlo Fassi said SG wants to simplify the test-taking process for students.

Student Body President Carlo Fassi. Photo courtesy of Student Government.

The original initiative was to create a universal scantron policy so using one color for every class could simplify things for the students.

Fassi said cost for this was too high, so they changed the plan.

Fassi said SG’s proposal for this new initiative would not place an excessive or unfamiliar burden to professors’ work loads.

According to SG’s Scantron Proposal, “With one less stress, this would allow them [students] to focus on the exam material instead of the exam ‘materials’.”

SG is currently the only place on campus students can get scantrons for free, but if this goes into effect, they will no longer need to distribute them.

Fassi said they looked at what other schools were doing and decided that it made complete sense.

Gerard Lozano, a junior and english and philosophy major, said he did not think professors should be required to distribute scantrons, but he could think of no real cons the change could bring.

Tia Wrigley, sophomore and interpreting major, said it would be nice if the professors handed scantrons out. It takes less time for them to do it than for students to go up to SG and get the scantrons themselves.

Email Tiffany Felts at [email protected]