UNF’s Coach Driscoll lands contract extension through the 2021-2022 season

Video by Michael Herrera

UNF men’s basketball head coach Matthew Driscoll confirmed that he has sealed a contract extension through the 2021-2022 season. The high-energy Driscoll gained national attention last season when the Ospreys won their first Atlantic Sun championship and made a run for the NCAA Tournament.

In a phone interview with Spinnaker Media, Driscoll said that, with polish, the wins will continue to come with an amazing impact.

“People recognize winning,” Driscoll said. “People recognize how you move forward.”

Driscoll’s total contract package includes incentives increased from $193,000 to about $225,000, with a base salary of $155,000. Driscoll’s incentives include his work on a radio show and other speaking engagements.

Driscoll went on to talk more about the men’s program, where the money and benefits are not important. He prefers to focus on having a decent quality of life for him and his family.

“We wanted to build a program that’s a consistent winner,” Driscoll said.

After being knocked out the first four by Robert Morris University in Dayton, Ohio, the Ospreys still have some unfinished business on the court. With all but two of last season’s team returning, Driscoll is confident about their chances.

“[We’re] not afraid to look in the mirror and say we have a chance,” Driscoll said.

With the season coming up, Driscoll said he still stands by his mantra that UNF stands for “Urgency Never Fails”, a motto this team looks to follow as they take the court.

You can see Driscoll on the sideline during the men’s basketball season opener on Nov. 16 at UNF Arena.

For more information or news tips, contact [email protected]; if you see an error in this story, contact [email protected].