North Florida hire new baseball coach

Ronnesha Rodgers

UNF’s new men’s baseball coach Tim Parenton. Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics

UNF Athletic Director Lee Moon announced the hiring of Tim Parenton as the new head coach of the Osprey’s Men’s Baseball team Monday afternoon.

Parenton replaces Smoke Laval, who was head coach for seven seasons until his dismissal on Wednesday. Parenton will be a familiar face with the Ospreys, as he served as the assistant coach at UNF for three years in 2010-2013.

“We are extremely excited to welcome Tim back to North Florida,” said Moon. “He has been a collegiate head coach during his career and also has proven success at every level of baseball.”

During Parenton’s time away, he served as the manager for multiple organizations including the Hudson Valley Renegades, a Class A affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays. Parenton guided the team to two Division titles and was the Penn League’s runner-up last summer.

To add to his resume, he has also done work with the Tampa Bay Rays coordinating the extended spring training program.

“I’m extremely happy to have this opportunity to return to North Florida,” said Parenton. “I have always felt the UNF baseball program has the potential to compete at the highest level and I will do my best to lead us there.”

Parenton then worked as the assistant coach at the University of Florida. After winning an SEC title while with the Gators in 2005, the Gators finished second in the nation and were able to advance to the College World Series.

Parenton also served as a coach at the high school level. Prior to working for UNF, Parenton served as the head coach for his high school alma mater in New Orleans, Jesuit High School. He also coached at his collegiate alma mater Mississippi State University and Samford University. At Samford he would be named the Ohio Valley Conference Coach of the Year in 2004.

When Parenton was at UNF, he saw accomplishments with the players he helped recruit and develop. Three of those players went on to receive Freshman All-American honors along with ASUN All-Freshman honors. Parenton was also a part of the staff when the Ospreys were able to defeat the No. 1 and No. 23 team in the nation.

“My wife and I are both excited to be a part of the Osprey family again,” said Parenton. “I can’t wait to get started and meet with our team.”