Women’s soccer picked up postseason honors

Jas Chung

Photo courtesy of UNF Athletics.

In a record-breaking season, women’s soccer has picked up multiple postseason accolades for 2017.

Thais Reiss, a midfielder, earned the ASUN Women’s Soccer Freshman of the Year award. Reiss had six goals during the regular season for the Ospreys, which hasn’t been done by a freshman since 2010. Three of her goals have been game-winning.

This is only the second time an UNF player has won the Freshman of the Year award, with the last being in 2010.

Reiss also received the honor to be on the ASUN All-Freshmen Team with two of her fellow teammates Andrea Sanchez and Amber Jones.

Jones, a midfielder, had been a leader in minutes and the main free kicker for the squad. Sanchez, also a midfielder, has been a defensive presence with opposing teams to give the Ospreys a six shots per game advantage.

Reiss and teammate Krista Colubiale, a junior, were also selected on the ASUN second team. This is Colubiale’s third straight nod to the ASUN second team. During the season, the forward earned player of the week and multiple game-winning performances.

Head coach Robin Confer described the recognized members of the 2017 team.

“This team has been a special group this season. They have all worked extremely hard to have a record-breaking season and we are excited to keep it going,” Confer said.

__