Potential on campus support rally for Ken Parker

Ronnie Rodgers

The university is preparing for a potential white nationalist rally on campus next week. The rally, which is being held in support of suspended student Ken Parker, is reportedly planned to happen on Monday Nov. 20 at 8:30 a.m. President John Delaney said that the university is aware of the rally and will be taking the necessary precautions.

This comes after Parker’s account posted a selfie of him with a large gun. The picture caused a flurry of rumors and fear among students on campus earlier this week.

A statement posted on Gene Thorson’s Facebook account attempted to recruit supporters for the rally. The statement read in part:

The full post can be read above.

“One of our brothers in Florida is under attack by the leftist scum. He us [sic] currently suspended from the school he was attending and come Monday morning he may not be a student at university of northern [sic] Florida because of his affiliations in the white nationalist. There will be a protest/rally on Monday @0830 at UNF…show them that we stand UNITED!!!”

“Our police are prepared and preparing,” Delaney said. “We are aware [of the rally].”

Deputy Chief Bill Strudel said there would be both UNFPD and JSO officers on campus for the rally, but there is no expectation of violence.

Strudel said that UNFPD is currently preparing, and will be ready to go on Monday. Officers will be throughout the campus, and “very visible” around the rally.  Due to security concerns, however, they could not release where exactly officers would be.

Spinnaker will update with more information as it becomes available.

__