UPD recruits new Safety Rangers

Sam Chaney

Photo by UNF spinnaker

In trying to survive the UNF Hunger Games known as parking, students have to search for a space, dodge citations and try to avoid colliding with each other both physically and emotionally. Now, however, students have the opportunity to be more involved in campus parking in a new way.

According to the Osprey Update sent out on Feb. 5, The University of North Florida Police Department (UNFPD) is recruiting Community Safety Rangers (CSRs), “who provide a visible presence in parking lots on campus during the evening hours.”

CSRs are part-time civilian employees who work for UNFPD, but what exactly does that entail?

Being a CSR means providing safety escorts, monitoring parking lots and assisting with traffic control scenarios.

“[CSRs] act as an extension of the UNFPD to enhance safety and security in the University community,” said Lieutenant Dwayne Howard of UNFPD.

Practical limits do apply to the position, however, as CSRs are not actually law-enforcement officers.

According to Howard, CSRs are not authorized to carry firearms or weapons of any kind, have no authority to write traffic/parking citations and have no arrest authority.

For instance, a CSR who is positioned at the Osprey Fountains may only write parking citations for handicapped and fire lane violations, but may not write citations in any other location.

CSRs are needed for two shifts:

6 p.m. to 10 p.m., Monday through Thursday in Lot 18, and 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., Monday through Thursday in Lot 55 behind the Fountains.

CSRs earn $9 per hour and will work four days a week.

Students or community members who are interested in applying for the Community Safety Ranger position are encouraged to contact Howard at [email protected] or (904) 620-2393.