A Look at UNF’s Homecoming Week

Angie Villada

There’s no need to panic in the midst of change in leadership for Osprey Productions. Upcoming events like Homecoming Week and future concerts will still occur regardless of who the next director is. 

”Even though we have changes in leadership, we are taking care of it right now,and we are definitely going to have a good concert coming up in April,” Student Body President Thomas Beaucham said.

a
The comedic duo will be performing in the Homecoming comedy show.

Homecoming Week will start Sunday, Feb. 11 with a comedy show. Performers Marlon Wayans, who is known for his roles in White Chicks and Scary Movie, and Ron Funches, a comedian who starred in the NBC series Undateable, will be in charge of your cheerful night, so be ready to laugh. Your boring nights will be filled with entertainment, performances and, of course, food.

The popular lip sync battle will occur on Monday, where students get to sing it out without actually having to sing. Performers compete against one another with crafty choreographies or silly costumes in order to be students and the judges favorite performances. The event starts at 7 p.m. at the Lazarra Performance Hall, but doors will open 30 minutes prior. Just a heads up, bags will not be allowed.

On Tuesday, students will get to compete against one another as they try to build the most theme-inclusive canned food fort for the Food Fort Competition. The event was previously known as the Can Castle Competition, but students will be able to support the Lend-A-Wing Pantry through the items they use for their food forts. The event will start at 3 p.m. at the Student Union.

The Robinson Theater will host the Mr. & Mrs. UNF pageant on Wednesday. The top 3 finalist will be named at the end of the event, but they will not be crowned until the end of the week in Saturday’s Homecoming basketball game against NJIT. On Thursday, there will be a banner contest at the Student Union Plaza, where students will be able to see student’s creativity firsthand. 

UNF’s annual Homecoming carnival or Night of Fun is on Friday, Feb. 16.  This is the day to not miss out on all the fun activities and, of course, the free food that will be given at the Amphitheater. Students will get to ride numerous carnival rides, and there will be other activities like caricatures, build-a-bear and free giveaways. To burn all the extra calories from the free food at Night of Fun, join the 5k Swoop the Loop run on Saturday morning

as

Along with all these fun events,the Presidential Search Committee will also be conducting their final interviews throughout Homecoming Week  in order to decide who will be the next UNF President.

“Homecoming and the presidential search are happening in conjunction with each other, and I feel like this was done for a good reason because…the candidates are going to be wowed by UNF,” Beaucham said.

Candidates will get to witness Homecoming Week, and will see students’ involvement and spirit through the events. Homecoming Week will be a chance for students to represent UNFm and Beaucham thinks the next president will feel welcomed and enthusiastic about being the next president of UNF.