National Police Week recap: Does UNFPD make students feel safe?

Cori Santucci

Photo by Ronnie Rodgers

National Police Week has been celebrated every year since 1962 when President John F. Kennedy designated May 15 as Peace Officers Memorial Day and the week of that date as National Police Week. This year, National Police Week was celebrated from May 13 to May 19.

According to the University of North Florida Police Department, the Department’s mission is “to preserve the peace, provide general police services to the University community, and enforce the laws of the State of Florida, the ordinances of the City of Jacksonville, as well as the rules, policies and traffic regulations of the University of North Florida. In cooperation with the entire campus community, the University Police Department also is committed to protecting the University’s population, buildings, grounds and equipment.”

UNFPD can commonly be seen driving around campus monitoring traffic and checking through the dorm buildings.

Students of all types have had encounters with UNFPD and have different feelings about their presence on campus. The main question, of course, is does UNFPD make them feel safe on campus?

“Not necessarily on campus,” UNF graduate student Isabella DeGracia said. “I don’t really see them around, it’s only really in the parking lots and in that sense, I recognize them more as just monitoring speed.”

“I don’t even know what they really do besides give people tickets,” Junior political science major Emily Jeffries later agreed.

“I think UNFPD can be helpful when called on, but nothing more, nothing less,” Junior political science major Alexandrya Maygee said when asked how she feels about UNFPD’s service.

However, not all students share such sentiments. For example, Kenny Smith, a UNF senior, has a more positive view of their presence.

“Seeing UNFPD does make everything seem more secure on campus, as opposed to them not being here,” he said.

Matthew Durden, a senior accounting major, feels similarly. “As someone who has never had a bad experience with UNFPD, I feel as though they provide a sense of security on campus, especially at a time like now, when school shootings are all too common.”

The UNF Police Department is located inside of the Martin P. Garris Police Building (Bldg. 41) near the intersection of UNF Dr. and Eco Dr., adjacent to Lot 14.

To file a police report, students and faculty can call (904) 620-2367. In case of emergencies, dial 911.