Ospreys prepare for the first game of the ASUN Championship Tournament

The Ospreys (25-26) had a late surge toward the end of the baseball season, winning six of their last nine games. The strong finish positioned UNF to the fourth seed in the Conference Tournament.

Next, the Ospreys will square off against the third seed Kennesaw State Owls (25-28).

Photo courtesy of Kennesaw State

On the mound, the Ospreys will send RHP Frank German to start. German has a 7-3 record with a conference-leading 1.34 earned runs allowed (ERA) and 98 strikeouts that rank third in the ASUN. The Ospreys’ ace was recently nominated for the Golden Spikes Award, given to the top college baseball player every season.

The Owls’ starting pitcher on Wednesday will be RHP AJ Moore who has a 5-2 record and a 3.03 ERA. In Moore’s last start he took the loss, throwing five and a third innings allowing three earned runs and four walks.

Some UNF hitters to watch out for during the game would be Tanner Murphy, Blake Voyles and Mac Wilson.

Murphy has topped the categories of home runs (10), doubles (12), batting average (.337), RBI (36), total bases (114) and stolen bases (15). This sophomore holds a spot in the top ten in the Ospreys D1 single-season record book for both home runs and stolen bases.

Voyles has been swinging a hot bat over the last ten games, batting .364 with two doubles and has driven in eight.  The senior backstop/first baseman is second on the squad in batting average, hitting .329, 11 doubles and 31 RBI’s.

Wilson has batted .417 in the past series against NJIT and crushed his first home run as an Osprey to ignite their nine-run comeback on last Friday’s victory.

The game between the UNF and Kennesaw State will start at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, May 23 at Harmon Stadium.