The UNF Flats housing dilemma

Aisling Glocke

Photo by Ronnie Rogers

Students taking summer courses that live in the Flats are beginning to question if choosing the Flats was the right idea. According to UNF’s Housing and Residence Life website, the move-out day for students living in the Flats is Tuesday, July 31, resulting in students having to move out before the semester ends on Friday, August 3.

Many students agree that this is unfair for students living in the Flats, as students living in other campus housing facilities don’t leave until Friday, August 3.

“That doesn’t make any sense to me since the Flats are UNF’s apartment option,” stated Catherine Cavallo, a Sophomore majoring in Multimedia Journalism. “If a student lives in an apartment, why should they have to move out if school is still in session?”

“I don’t think that they should be able to do that,” said Hannah Tolle, a Multimedia Journalism sophomore. “I thought the Flats was supposed to be a year-round place for people to stay, so why should they have to leave before the semester is over?”

“I was unaware that they made them leave before the semester even ends,” said Ashlee Erdman, an advertising sophomore. “That is wrong in my opinion.”

Not only do students in the Flats have to leave early, but they also have to do it amidst finals week for the summer term.

“The stress of moving out and trying to find somewhere else if they aren’t from Jacksonville could make them less likely to be able to properly focus for a final,” Tolle said.

Students gave their opinions on what they think housing can do to fix this dilemma.

“I believe they should be able to stay at least until the semester ends,” Erdman said.  

Students living in the Flats can only hope that they can take their finals early and complete classes before their move-out day.

1 Comment

One Response to “The UNF Flats housing dilemma”

1. Catherine on July 20th, 2018 12:22 am

The Fountains pulls the same shit and yes, it is not fair which is putting it mildly. It is a UNF issue and the school should rethink how they treat students and the effect this has on not only them but their families.

• The UNF Flats housing dilemma

UNF hosts global health expert Rajiv Shah

• The UNF Flats housing dilemma

Homecoming: Nest Fest comes to UNF

• The UNF Flats housing dilemma

Column: Making your way around town

• The UNF Flats housing dilemma

UNF recognizes loyal faculty with breakfast

• The UNF Flats housing dilemma

Parkland shooting anniversary: How students are using their voice to move forward

• The UNF Flats housing dilemma

Game room hosts V-Day fight night

• The UNF Flats housing dilemma

Editorials

OPINION: The Emergency Alert System Failed

• The UNF Flats housing dilemma

Columns

COLUMN: Taking an Exit off the My Way Highway

• The UNF Flats housing dilemma

Spielbergs channel 2000’s emo on “This Is Not The End”

• The UNF Flats housing dilemma

Facebook bans (and unbans) Geneva Museum of Art and History’s pictures of nude statues

The UNF Flats housing dilemma